LifeTime Supporter
Oct 28, 2012
Houston TX 77064
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I only have one pressure gauge on the filter which is running consistently 3psi. When I did some research to see if this was a good pressure, find that folks have a gauge on the pump, too. I don't. Looked at the diagram for parts and there is nothing about a place for a gauge. There is a hole in the pump for water release, 1/4" NPT, which is the same size as the regular replacement pressure gauge I get for the filter.

Pump: Premier Pump 475V 10 1 HP (455AB for parts)
http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_pumps_premier.htm
I know brass pump, but just cleaned and put a new gasket on it the 4th of July, it is a perfect piece of machinery - a bit noisy, but perfect.

Filter: Mytilus MA-90C S/N 09921
http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filters_pacfab_mytilus_507090C_.htm

What is a gal to do - have been using with only filter gauge for over 5 years, with no issues in maintenance or treatment, so do I need it? Any thoughts on this matter? Not a problem in my book, but curious as it reads that maybe I should.

RESPONSE: Pump doesn't have a pressure gauage - is this ok

Replaced with two gauges thinking the same thing, same reading, in fact one of the gauges read 1psi. Had all the piping tested twice over the last 6 months for a water loss problem (see my post of inlet valves installed incorrectly) since resolved, and it has never wavered. Everything is testing great - water quality, chemical testing, filter cleaned regularly. Like I said I don't think it's an issue - as the other gent stated going out the dirty side of the pump is what is going out on the inlets.

One thing you haven't told us is the history of the system. Has the pressure always been that low? If not, when did the pressure suddenly lower and what was the filter pressure before? The more details, the better.

Also, is the equipment installed much higher than the water level?

Does the pressure out of the returns feel any different than before?

No, something is not right. a normal single speed pump and filter produce clean pressures of usually 10 - 18 psi with some very few exceptions a bit higher or lower. 3 psi is not correct.

How is the flow into the pool? Is it quite strong? (I know you may not have a good comparison as your issue has been with you a while)

My suspicion is you have a partial blockage either with debris wrapped around the impeller or some obstruction on the suction side of your pump. As a result, you are not getting much efficiency out of your pump.

I have been living with this 35 year old pool for 6 years now. The pressure gauge on the filter has always ready 3-5 (replaced all the pump and filter gaskets and o-rings, cleaned and checked, measured and compared, there is nothing wrong with any of the equipment). I rebuilt the pump thinking the same thing - impeller blocked suction obstruction - but nothing. And I had the pipe pressure checked when I got a leak issue after new plaster job last October - no obstructions - all is clear and running fine. What I read is not what I am getting. I have great circulation (inlet pushing out way more than 3 psi, just by the feel), chem testing is perfect, I have been caring for the pool myself for the last 6 years, nothing has changed with the exception of me investigating gauges and psi seemed off.

With a new gauge and strong water flow, the only thing that I can think of that would explain the low PSI is perhaps the filter being installed backwards. Cartridge filters will still work somewhat even if installed backwards but you would know right away during cleaning because the debris would be inside the cartridge instead of outside the cartridge.

Can you post a picture of your equipment setup?

I can, it is pretty clear cut, one in and one out, FYI: had the drain disconnected when I had the skimmer replaced, so skimmer into pump, out to filter, and return to inlet valves out. I don't think I can put the filters on backwards as there are 15 and they only go on one way, unless I am missing something. I clean them every other or third weekend. I have two sets, so I can clean properly without pool system out of commission for any given amount of time. You know though, I have never tested without the filters on to see what the pressure was with that state. I will try that next week.

Attachments

• Pool Works.JPG
    Pool Works.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 58
  • filter diagram.jpg
    filter diagram.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 58
Actually I meant the input and output ports of the filter being swapped but the picture shows a correct installation so that isn't it.

A few more questions:

How far is the pump from the pool?

Also, is the pump elevated above the water line and by how much?

Is all the pipe 2"?

How many returns (eyeballs) are there in the pool?

How many skimmers and/or main drains?

Just checking to see if it is possible that the return head loss is really that low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

1) Pool mechanics is only 10-12 feet away from pool
2) elevation of pump is about 6 inches above water level, concrete level decking
3) I believe all 2" PVC piping - mechanics for sure - when I had the inlet valve issue and personally checking, I could put my 3 large fingers in almost stacked.
4) 4 inlet valves
5) 1 skimmer - newly installed 12/2012
6) no main drain - had it closed off, due to leak.

Thoughts?

Given, the simple layout of your plumbing system with very short runs, it is quite possible that the pressure you are seeing is realistic. The return head loss for 3 PSI, is about 10' of head. A cartridge filter will have about 5' of head @ 75 GPM and 10' of 2" pipe with 5 90s & 4 eyeballs can also have about 5' of head @ 75 GPM so it is possible that the pressure the filter is showing is true. If I had the pump curve, for your pump, I could make sure but using a very small 1 HP could produce only 3 PSI on the plumbing you have described.

It would appear you just have a very low head loss plumbing setup with a smallish pump both of which is a good thing.

slow and easy is a wonderful thing. Explains why I have such great luck with it and hope to continue. Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and thinking this out and explaining it to me. I must say my problem seems so minute compared to some of the literature I read on your signature. Sometimes simpler is easier. I will be enjoying my pool even more knowing it is doing what is it suppose to be. Bless you.

I will defer to mas985 in ANY discussions of pool hydraulics. I should not have been so absolute in my opinions of your equipment and certainly have learned from it.

I think the lowest normal psi reported in more than 9 years here on forums is around 7-8....mine is 10 psi and is certainly below average.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.