Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Things I used to believe...

1. Back To Top    #1

Things I used to believe...

We've all got some pretty strange and inconsistent advice from pool stores but what about things we came up with on our own before coming to this site?

• In my deepest despair, usually towards the end of the season, I would start to think that proper pool care was a black art like Voodoo. Sooner or later a chicken would have to die and I would have to learn how to spit rum out in a fine aerosol fashion. Of course that never happened. I wasn't adverse to frying up a fresh plucked chicken but I drew the line at spitting out perfectly good rum.

• I use to think that water clarity and/or cloudiness was akin to the Hindu caste system because most of the cloudiness was towards the bottom. So with true egalitarian righteousness I would leave the vacuum head on the bottom for days, providing a direct conduit to Nirvana (my filter) for those poor Untouchables. That didn't work and soon my thoughts would turn again to fried chicken.

Spending money on a good Test Kit and understanding the CYA CHART might not be as romantic as Voodoo and freedom fighting but you can't argue with success.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Thing I used to believe...

Great Post! It also hits home for a lot of us (my chicken was tough....shouldn't have picked a rooster)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Wait... that's not how it works? I mean, I have been following the methods here, but I never stopped the sacrifices...

My neighbors are going to be mighty unhappy when they find out where all their birds have been going
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson
    Wait... that's not how it works? I mean, I have been following the methods here, but I never stopped the sacrifices...

My neighbors are going to be mighty unhappy when they find out where all their birds have been going
    Nothing wrong with a little extra insurance. Like a St. Christophers medal on the dashboard. Oh wait--didn't he get demoted along with Pluto? Since I live close to the airport I still do a combination Voodoo/Druid ceremony to counteract the wild PH swings caused by jets flying overhead. Science can only go so far after all.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Things I used to believe...

Y'all are killin' me!

6. Back To Top    #6

I used to believe that 6 pucks in the float was better than 3 pucks...

I now believe I will have another beverage tonight, after I add some LC to the pool.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    I now believe I will have another beverage tonight, after I add some LC to the pool.
    LOL
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I used to believe the same thing...actually, I still do.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

... as it spirals off the tracks again...

-- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

I used to believe owning a pool was only for the very rich. Who could afford to maintain a pool, after seeing what the pool guys went through at the local municipal pool, and the sports pool at the high school?

All pools HAD to be in ground, there was no way you could have anything hold water above ground.

As for the beverages, email me a few, please!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

I used to believe since my pool never turned green, and never really seemed cloudy, it never had a problem.

I used to believe that the black stuff where the plaster had flaked was the concrete showing through.

I used to believe that throwing some goodly amount cal-hypo in once a week was good enough.

I still think my pool would benefit from an exorcist, or maybe just a good remodel.
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.