My 1 1/2hp Whisperflo pump has been noticeably louder and vibrating for several days. The grand kids have been playing with water balloons and I thought a piece of rubber may have snuck through the filter basket and got stuck in the impeller. I figured I would give it time to work through the impeller before I attempted pump disassembly. This morning I went to clean the pump basket and afterwards the pump would not start. I grabbed my meter and soon I discovered that one of the ac power legs (It's a 220v) was burnt off at the fuse. Now the pool, pool wiring and breakers are 22 years old. The pump and mechanical timer about 7 years old. I am going to fish new wiring. There are now 2 yellow conductors for ac power to the pump, 1 blue for the pool light and ac outlets, a white neutral and a green ground. The 2 pump breakers are 15 amps. I ohmed across the two leads to the motor and I did get a beep with 1.5 ohms resistance indicating a short at the motor or cap. At this point I doubt there is anything stuck in the impeller but I won't know until I open it up.
Before I get started, several questions.
1. Did the motor short cause the wiring to burn through at the breaker or the other way, the old burnt conductor cause unbalanced power to the motor making it vibrate until a short developed.
2. What size conductors are required today for a 1 1/2 hp pump and should I run extra wires for future expansion? Wiring schematics to make sure I comply with code?
3. Should I repair or replace the motor on the 7 year old Whisperflo or get the new variable speed pump which I have been eyeing now.
Thanks for the help