Pump upgrade

Jul 18, 2013
Hello, looking to upgrade my current pump (WhisperFlo WFE-8/2HP/Service Factor 1.3/2" pipe). Pool is 20x40 36,000 gallons. Please advise on a good replacement model and if possible a good source to purchase. I am assuming variable speed is preferred?

Thanks

Welcome to tfp, maitai777 :wave:

Why do you want to upgrade?

Do you have any high volume water features the pump needs to run, such as waterfalls, spa jets or deck jets?

maitai777 said:
I am assuming variable speed is preferred?
Not necessarily. What is the cost of energy where you live?

The pump is making a high pitch noise and I have been told the bearings are on the way out. I just bought the house and I have also been told this particular pump draws around 1700 watts so I would like to lower my bill. I have an attached inground spa which the pump can filter/heat if I switch 2 valves. I am in San Diego, CA so I guess the cost of energy is probably the highest in the nation?

Thanks for your help.

The WFE-8 draws over 2300 watts on high speed for typical 2" plumbing, not 1700 watts. But if you don't need the high flow rate for a spa or other water feature, you might consider downsizing the impeller and motor.

Also for CA, a VS might not be a bad choice. It depends on how much money you want to spend up front vs save down the road.

Ok decided to go with the Intelliflo 011018. Any suggestions on the best place to purchase?
Based on the attached photos, any advice on installation? Fittings needed?
[attachment=2:56sr5est]pump1sm.jpg[/attachment:56sr5est]
[attachment=1:56sr5est]pump2sm.jpg[/attachment:56sr5est]
[attachment=0:56sr5est]pump3sm.jpg[/attachment:56sr5est]

Attachments

• pump1sm.jpg
    pump1sm.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 131
  • pump2sm.jpg
    pump2sm.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 131
  • pump3sm.jpg
    pump3sm.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 131

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They didn't do you any favors on that plumbing, did they?

From what I can see, the Intelliflo won't fit in the same place as the other pump. I don't think there's enough room under and around the piping for the drive to fit. And if it did, you couldn't access it.

I would turn the pump 90º so the motor would point toward the filter and replumb the pad to it.

gwegan - thanks for the info on sdge - hopefully that will happen!

bama - no kidding - that plumbing is a mess. what to you mean by replumb the pad? also what do you think about automatic valves instead of my manual valves? am thinking about getting the attached spa filtered once in a while without having to manually switch them. can automatic valves wire directly to the intelliflo or do i need another control unit?

In order to automate valves you need an automation system. The IntelliFlo drive isn't designed to operate anything except itself.

Adding automated valves is a good idea. If you add an automation system you can control the valves and the pump speed depending on what mode it's in.

Unless you have extremely high flow rate requirements, you should get the regular IntelliFlo and not the XF, and when you do have extremely high flow requirements you should have pipes that are larger than 2". The XF will sometimes work on 2" plumbing, but there can be priming issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.