SE TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have a Pentair whisperflow pump, not sure how old. I have had this house for 5 years, it was here when we got here. FWIW the Polaris booster pump for the cleaner gave up the ghost last year. I am guessing at least 10 years, maybe 15.

I noticed the other day that it was making an extremely loud noise. My filter pressure was also up to about 32 psi, which is pretty high, I normally clean the filter at 30. Not sure if that is relevant or not, but thought I would mention it.

Anyway, I changed the filter and the pump is still making a ton of noise. I am assuming a bearing but not entirely sure…could be impeller noise.

Looking for suggestions. Do I rebuild the pump now, wait until after the season or just replace it? All the fittings are glued PVC so I don’t want to mess with it now unless I have to, I would rather wait until after the year.

TIA

Sounds like the bearings are going. I would suggest considering a new 2speed motor, no plumbing involved. Save money on electricity by running on low most of the time.

thanks. Do you have a suggestion on which motor to buy? I have a 1 horse now. Does it pretty much bolt on and off?

Look for a 1 HP 2speed. A few bolts, and spin off the impellor. You will need a new shaft seal, or the whole go-kit. And will need to add a switch to select the speed.

got it done, but i had to put on a single speed....no two speed pumps available. I did replace the seals and no leaks.

thanks for the help

You are definitely right about ordering online, but I couldn't wait. My next door neighbor actually called me about the noise and in the interest of neighborhood harmony I wanted to get it done yesterday. I am out of town next week, so if I didn't get it done yesterday I was most likely not going to get it done for almost two weeks. I live in a neighborhood where the houses are quite close together which is why they had called.

I cut the spade connector off the extra hot wire, put a cap on it and left it there....next time I upgrade I'll go two speed. The last motor I had actually had the switch on the motor itself.

Shocked at how quiet the new one is. I found paperwork on the old one, it had been installed 5 years ago, right before I moved into the house and was never that quiet. Is 5 years about the expected lifespan of a motor?

Also, I put new seals in, but not an impeller. What is the life of an impeller?

Motor longevity all depends on service and location. If it's directly in the elements they don't tend to make it much longer than 5 to 7 years. If they're somewhat protected, they last longer as a rule.

Unless you're pumping sand, the impeller will last a very long time. You should check it once a year or so to see if there's anything clogging some of the vanes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.