Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump is screaming loud

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump is screaming loud

I have a Pentair whisperflow pump, not sure how old. I have had this house for 5 years, it was here when we got here. FWIW the Polaris booster pump for the cleaner gave up the ghost last year. I am guessing at least 10 years, maybe 15.

I noticed the other day that it was making an extremely loud noise. My filter pressure was also up to about 32 psi, which is pretty high, I normally clean the filter at 30. Not sure if that is relevant or not, but thought I would mention it.

Anyway, I changed the filter and the pump is still making a ton of noise. I am assuming a bearing but not entirely sure…could be impeller noise.

Looking for suggestions. Do I rebuild the pump now, wait until after the season or just replace it? All the fittings are glued PVC so I don’t want to mess with it now unless I have to, I would rather wait until after the year.

TIA
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump is screaming loud

Sounds like the bearings are going. I would suggest considering a new 2speed motor, no plumbing involved. Save money on electricity by running on low most of the time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks. Do you have a suggestion on which motor to buy? I have a 1 horse now. Does it pretty much bolt on and off?
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Look for a 1 HP 2speed. A few bolts, and spin off the impellor. You will need a new shaft seal, or the whole go-kit. And will need to add a switch to select the speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

got it done, but i had to put on a single speed....no two speed pumps available. I did replace the seals and no leaks.

thanks for the help
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Good deal, although you probably had plenty of time to order a 2 speed, likely for the same price you paid locally for the 1 speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

You are definitely right about ordering online, but I couldn't wait. My next door neighbor actually called me about the noise and in the interest of neighborhood harmony I wanted to get it done yesterday. I am out of town next week, so if I didn't get it done yesterday I was most likely not going to get it done for almost two weeks. I live in a neighborhood where the houses are quite close together which is why they had called.

I cut the spade connector off the extra hot wire, put a cap on it and left it there....next time I upgrade I'll go two speed. The last motor I had actually had the switch on the motor itself.

Shocked at how quiet the new one is. I found paperwork on the old one, it had been installed 5 years ago, right before I moved into the house and was never that quiet. Is 5 years about the expected lifespan of a motor?

Also, I put new seals in, but not an impeller. What is the life of an impeller?
    19,000 gallon
    Cartridge
    IG
    Vinyl
    1 HP Hayward pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Motor longevity all depends on service and location. If it's directly in the elements they don't tend to make it much longer than 5 to 7 years. If they're somewhat protected, they last longer as a rule.

Unless you're pumping sand, the impeller will last a very long time. You should check it once a year or so to see if there's anything clogging some of the vanes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit