Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Algae is not dying....what am I doing wrong

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae is not dying....what am I doing wrong

I am a science teacher so I consider myself above average in following directions. I feel I have followed the SLAM directions but my pool still looks the same (it has been 2.5 days so far).

My chemistry (using the K-2006):
    FC- 18 (keeping it here religiously)
    CC- 1
    CYA- 55
    pH- 7.2

Filter is running...psi looks good (have backwashed once). I have gone through 16 gallon jugs of liquid pool chlorine (10% concentration). So trouble shoot with me....what do I need to do now?

I have not been testing my CH or Phosphates, do I need to?

20K, plaster, DE, so full of algae it hurts

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Algae is not dying....what am I doing wrong

Continue to SLAM the pool for as long as it takes. That pool looks like it has been without adequate chlorine for a pretty good while before you started to SLAM so you are likely in for a LOT more chlorine consumption.

With a CYA of 55 ppm, your SLAM value should be 22 or so.....use the chart in Pool School and the clearing process may very well speed up.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....it will tell you that CH and phosphates are irrelevant to algae.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like you are not keeping your shock level of FC high enough. With your CYA of 55 you should be maintaining an FC of between 20-24. See this chart pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock My smaller AGP took over a week to kill all the algae and return it to crystal clear water. Keep those FC levels up and be patient!
    6423 AG Intex 18 x 48 Intex 2100 GPH Sand Filter Pool Pump TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Patience! It didn't get like that overnight. Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

In addition to what the others said, have you removed any/all physical debris from the pool? A layer of leaves on the bottom can make it nearly impossible to clear up the pool.

If the pool has been let go for some time, 16 gallons of chlorine isn't all that much. If the pool just got algae recently, I would have expected you to see more progress by now.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

We have gotten to a light green cloudy color 5 times this summer but never clear. After our son was born last summer we neglected the pool because we thought it would be easy to get back to this:

I will shock up to 22 now and just try to be patient. We have not seen the bottom of the pool in over a year despite spending $1000s at the pool store (foolishly....seriously it hurts to think of how stupid we were.) Before this year we kept the free chlorine at 1 and never had a single problem...so I was thinking...hey owning a pool is super easy! I am getting to the point where I don't think it is worth the hassle anymore...someone talk me out of a demo. of my pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe this is a stupid question...but how would I know if I have any debris at the bottom of my pool? I can't see the bottom. I run my pool robot and it cleans up tons of green gunk each time.

8. Back To Top    #8

In my experience it will take weeks to be clear. I have never gone from green to clean with a DE filter though, hopefully your experience will be faster.

Everybody has already stated my first feeling, your FC level is too low.

To expound upon what Jason said, if there are leaves/organic matter in the bottom of the pool, your chlorine is going be used up killing it, so physically removing it is easier than bleaching leaves etc...

You didn't mention brushing, are you brushing frequently? Brushing will mix the pot up, get stuff out of dead spots in your circulation. Brushing will also stir up particles that have settled to get them floating in the water so that they can be filtered out, it also ensures that they are exposed to the chlorine in the water. A layer of algae on the bottom of the pool floor can shield a layer underneath it from the chlorine.
    24,000 gallon
    Vinyl Liner
    In Ground Pool
    Hayward super pump 1hp
    Hayward S220T 250lb. Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

You're going to HAVE to find out if you have any muck on the bottom if it's been a year before you can expect results. Try to rake anything in the deep end up to the shallow with a pool pole and a brush on it so you can net it out.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

Can you vacuum to waste? That will help get rid of the gunk on the bottom of the pool alot faster. Untill you get rid of the organics at the bottom of the pool you are just spinning your wheels as others have said. That needs to be your number one priority.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

.but how would I know if I have any debris at the bottom of my pool? I can't see the bottom. I run my pool robot and it cleans up tons of green gunk each time.
    You answered your own question....if the robot is collecting it (which it is not really designed to do), then you can be assured that it is down there and needs to be vacuumed/netted. That's the very first step as you start to clear that pool.

Clearing a pool that has been neglected that long is a big task. Unless you take it methodically and use the proper techniques and chemistry and equipment, you will fail.

I might add that it is a mind-set, too. You will have to resolve that there are no "magic bullets" that you can toss into the pool and have miracle results. It is going to take some hard work and will be a learning process but there are a lot of folks here that will help you once you get yourself ready.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Maybe a gadget like this (see link) will help get debris off the bottom. It's powered by a garden hose, so you don't lose all the chlorine you've been adding. I use one of these fall & spring to get leaves off the bottom. Works like a charm!

Here's the link (not an endorsement of this vendor): http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Splas...mpid=fbt_70126

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

I think we are getting there...
    Chemistry:
    FC- 26
    CC-1
    pH-7.2
    Cya- 55

We are brushing daily and running the Hayward Shark Vac (someone said that is not what the robot was designed for... meaning I shouldn't be running the vac? Please elaborate on that.) The shark vac has been coming up clean lately...so I think the bottom is clearing.

I don't know who the powers that be are but maybe you can add a section in the sticky (turning a swamp into oasis) that if you have neglected your pool for a year then it is going to take closer to 100 jugs of chlorine and weeks (not days). I was getting antsy after 3 days of nothing happening....now I know better. Just going to keep on. Next week I go back to work and no one will be home all day to keep up the chlorine addition. What can I do then?

Pictures
    (Start)

(5 days in)

I do see some improvement

15. Back To Top    #15

Are you running the pump 24/7 with the filter on? I have not seen you mention having to backwash the filter which should be done whenever the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Which I would expect to happen every few hours. Actually it is sometimes suggested to run the pump in recirculation mode until everything appears dead and then baby-sit the filter and massive amounts of backwashing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

When I started this year my pool looked like that and I knew I had tons of stuff on the bottom. I just kept digging and scooping with my regular skimmer. My pool is a whole lot smaller but you'd be surprised how much you can fish out of there even when you can't see. I even figured out the one spot where the leaves were the worst and just kept pulling out skimmers full of stuff. Boy was it gross....
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

17. Back To Top    #17

With luck things will be much better by next week, and even if not completely done you can boost to shock level when you leave for work, then again when you get back home. Hang in there and keep us updated.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

18. Back To Top    #18

It will get better and I'm another on board rooting for you too now. SLAM it hard, and don't let up. Get the junk out and keep the Chlorine in and up high....don't let it fall! Thats a beautiful pool and it will come back around for sure.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

19. Back To Top    #19

I've checked and there's not a lot of debris at the bottom of the pool. I have been running the filter 24/7 and backwashed a couple times, but I read up on DE filters and I'm afraid that I haven't been adding enough filter media after backwashing. Tonight I plan to completely clean the filter and add some new media (I'm using cellulose fiber rather than DE). After that I'll backwash whenever the pressure increases 20-25% AND add the right amount of filter media afterward. Wish me luck!

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by ekins2011
    I've checked and there's not a lot of debris at the bottom of the pool. I have been running the filter 24/7 and backwashed a couple times, but I read up on DE filters and I'm afraid that I haven't been adding enough filter media after backwashing. Tonight I plan to completely clean the filter and add some new media (I'm using cellulose fiber rather than DE). After that I'll backwash whenever the pressure increases 20-25% AND add the right amount of filter media afterward. Wish me luck!

Just as a heads up...a DE filter (cellulose or DE) can pressure up rapidly when you are killing Algae. Sometimes only a few hours, so be prepared and watch it closely.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast