Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: fc level for swg

1. Back To Top    #1

fc level for swg

I read that the fc level should be between 3 - 5 for a swg, is there a problem with it being a little higher than that? Here are my tf-100 test results:

fc 8
    cc 0
    tc 8
    ph 7.4
    ta 80
    ch 390
    cya 50
    salt 3000
    temp 86

The water looks perfect at this level, when the fc was around 4 it would get a slight cloudiness with heavier use, but at 7 / 8 where its been for the past month it stays crystal. I know this may be causing more wear to the swg so I will prob adjust down to 45% run time from 50% on the cell to lower it a little, pump run time is 12 hrs.
    I keep adding cya, but due to my auto cover when there is a lot of people, water splashes into the vault so the cya level keeps dropping, I added 8 pounds in the last few months. I guess if I really raised the cya to 70 - 80 the fc level of 3 - 5 would keep the water clear?
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: fc level for swg

fc was around 4 it would get a slight cloudiness with heavier use,
    If you know you will have heavy use, you can bump FC w/bleach/liquid chlorine or turn up the SWG.

Having the CYA level at recommended range would help maintain FC at lower level. However, you still need to be aware of heavy bather loads and the impact that will have on the FC.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I was adding some cl manually at times as you suggested, but for the last few weeks its been pretty steady at 7 / 8. We had about 10 kids last sunday and the next day it was still crystal without adding additional cl. I guess it makes sense to lower the cl level and then bump up as required as opposed to keeping it higher all the time.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you don't like tweaking your SWG back and forth, manually adding some Clorox prior to the party is awfully convenient and it will drift down on it's own in a day or so.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool Calculator says 2-8 for SWG @50 CYA. So no problem running it higher.

If you raised CYA a little, to the recommended 70, you could keep it up there and run the SWG even less.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to raise the cya and lower the swg setting, then just add manually as required.