My numbers this morning are:

PH 7.8
    FC 5.5
    TA 60
    CH 275
    CYA 60
    Temp 90
    Salt 2800

When I first found this site my cya was way up there, Pucks, I drained and balanced, got swg etc. I am slowly adding cya and am uptight of going to high, but I was at 40 a few weeks ago. I'm looking for that magic CYA number, in southwest florida with full sun all day long. I am getting different target levels here while reading and the pool calc. My Pentair 40 in a 13000 gallon pool is on 80% running 8 plus hours to get to the 5.5 FC I have today. I do add liquid when it drops as the swg is working hard now at that percentage.

What do you think a good target is a 90 degrees Florida sun all day long with no screened in enclosure?

As always Thanks for the great advise,

13000 in ground Wet Edge Satin Tahitian Blue, Pentair VS pump, Hayward DE4820, Hayward Vac, Pentair SWG IC 40, Pentair Intellibrite 5G, Intellibrite Controller,
    TF-100 Test Kit, Seminole, West Central Florida

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Carolina

Re: scared of cya? Magic target?

70 to 80 CYA is recommended. Try 70 and see how that goes. You can always go to 80 later.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    NW Ohio

It's not so much a magic target, more a compromise between sun protection and needing higher levels of FC.

I second Butterfly, SWG in Florida 70-80 is a good range. That should help your SWG maintain your FC around 5 ppm.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Higher than 50? The website says "It is recommended that you maintain a residual of 30-50 ppM of CYA. At 25 ppM the chlorine will last 3-5 times longer. Above 50 ppM, no marginal stabilization benefit is observed."

5. Back To Top    #5
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp,

Be careful when you read information put out by manufactures with "skin in the game". Also, they have no references on that web page to show the data behind their claims. With that said, it is only with Saltwater Chlorine generator (swg) pools that we extend our recommended range up to 70-80 ppm cya. In non-swg pools, a cya level of 30-50 ppm is our recommended range.

If you want to read in more detail how CYA protects chlorine from sunlight, start here: Be careful in is the "deep end" of the forum
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

San Rafael, CA USA

What they wrote is simply not true. The reason some in the industry say there is no benefit above 30 ppm or 50 ppm (depending on who you talk to) is that they are referring to high bather-load commercial/public pools. In those pools, most of the chlorine loss is from oxidizing bather waste, not from loss from sunlight. So some CYA is needed or else the sunlight loss is indeed high, but with just some CYA such loss is significantly reduced below the higher loss from bathers. So it "seems" like adding any more CYA doesn't help. Also, a higher CYA without a proportionately higher FC can result in algae growth and that increases chlorine demand even further.

In residential pools, the bather-load is very low so by far most of the chlorine loss is from the UV in sunlight so higher CYA levels help to reduce such losses, even above 50 ppm. In fact, we've done experiments showing that a higher CYA of 80 ppm is beneficial for saltwater chlorine generator pools to reduce their chlorine generator on-time which helps reduce the rate of pH rise in such pools.

You will find a lot of misinformation about pools and spas in the industry. Check out the Pool School to learn the truth of what really goes on and how to maintain your pool.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"