Does CYA float?

Gigem

Jun 26, 2011
After living with pools for over 40 years (one at my parents house and I have owned three), I am about to become a BBB convert.

It was actually the experience with CYA that pushed me over the edge. I had no idea what "too much" CYA meant until I had a guy at Leslie's explain it to me.

The Leslie's guy told me that CYA tends to float in the water, so it's best to drain off the top. I have a portable sump pump and have been setting it on my stairs, starting at the top, to maximize my removal.

My level is over 100, so I am draining off a bunch of water. Maybe half the pool...

Many more questions to come, got my test kit in the mail last week.

Pool store advice and our advice rarely work well together. You should stick with one or the other.

It is completely silly for anyone to tell you that CYA "floats".

It's really more than silly but this is a well-mannered forum.

I'm not sure if you should even trust their test results. Pool stores can be great, but more often than not they can be wildly off, especially on the CYA test. The best thing you could possibly do is get your own top quality test kit, so you can have reliable test results.

More nonsense. If you have decent circulation, your CYA level should be the same everywhere in the pool - top, bottom, in front of a return, next to the main drain, anywhere.

While 100 is high - certainly too high to use a color block test kit to measure the required chlorine level for it - it doesn't necessarily require an immediate massive drain and refill.

Is the water clear? Do you have a SWG? How about posting all your numbers, as well as telling us which kit you used to obtain them?

Gigem,

Welcome to the forum, the replies above will get you on the right path. I am new to the pool maintenance side and this group has not steered me wrong.

I went to the pool store once and they sold me stabilizer (when I reread pool school), I found out they were both correct. Since then, I only run my own tests, use the pool calculator, and purchase supplies (hopefully online) as necessary.

Gig 'Em.

TAMC93

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.