Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does CYA float?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does CYA float?

After living with pools for over 40 years (one at my parents house and I have owned three), I am about to become a BBB convert.

It was actually the experience with CYA that pushed me over the edge. I had no idea what "too much" CYA meant until I had a guy at Leslie's explain it to me.

The Leslie's guy told me that CYA tends to float in the water, so it's best to drain off the top. I have a portable sump pump and have been setting it on my stairs, starting at the top, to maximize my removal.

My level is over 100, so I am draining off a bunch of water. Maybe half the pool...

Many more questions to come, got my test kit in the mail last week.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Does CYA float?

Pool store advice and our advice rarely work well together. You should stick with one or the other.

It is completely silly for anyone to tell you that CYA "floats".

It's really more than silly but this is a well-mannered forum.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

I'm not sure if you should even trust their test results. Pool stores can be great, but more often than not they can be wildly off, especially on the CYA test. The best thing you could possibly do is get your own top quality test kit, so you can have reliable test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

More nonsense. If you have decent circulation, your CYA level should be the same everywhere in the pool - top, bottom, in front of a return, next to the main drain, anywhere.

While 100 is high - certainly too high to use a color block test kit to measure the required chlorine level for it - it doesn't necessarily require an immediate massive drain and refill.

Is the water clear? Do you have a SWG? How about posting all your numbers, as well as telling us which kit you used to obtain them?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Central Texas

Welcome to the forum, the replies above will get you on the right path. I am new to the pool maintenance side and this group has not steered me wrong.

I went to the pool store once and they sold me stabilizer (when I reread pool school), I found out they were both correct. Since then, I only run my own tests, use the pool calculator, and purchase supplies (hopefully online) as necessary.

Gig 'Em.

+/-16k gallon IG pebblesheen pool with SWG, spa and waterfall, Hayward 2HP 2-speed Tri-star, Hayward 1.5HP Tri-star, Hayward 5030 Cartridge filter, Hayward H400 Heater, Sharkvac Robotic Cleaner