Black Algea and Pebble Tec - Help Please

Aug 11, 2013
I had a terrible case of black algae on a Pebble Tec pool. I worked through about 2 weeks of Leslie's pool center help until finding this site. I bought my TF100 test kit and have been SLAMMING since last Friday. The pool is really starting to look great. I have a SWG and my overnight FC test actually increased by have a point. I planon running the test tonight with the SWG off. Here is where things get interesting. I have been brushing algae away for the last two weeks like a mad man. I have a 30" black algae pool brush(metal bristles) and a rubber bristle hand brush that is very rough. I have been putting on a diving mask and brushing any algae spots. There are a handful of spots around the pool I can see the algae is below the Pebble Tec but the brushes aimply can't reach it. Do I need to keeping SLAMMING until it dies or will maintaining a post SLAM FC rate of 4ppm be enough to stop the algae from activating again? I'm also planning to add the borates once this process is complete.

Thanks in advance!

Even with a successful SLAM, black algae is tough to completely eradicate.

Generally, the best course is to complete the SLAM and then elevate FC to about twice normal levels (8 ppm) for as much as a couple of weeks and continue to physically work on the remaining algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.