Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: noisy pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

noisy pool pump

In the last week I thought my pool pump was kinda noisy. This morning it was shut off when I checked on it. The motor was hot to touch. My first thought was bearings... Any advice before I start taking pump apart?

Thanks
    27000 gallon in-ground with an Aqualink RS, Jandy Plus 1 hp pump, Aquapure 1400 swg, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy LX gas heater, Polaris 280 cleaner with a pb4-60Q booster pump, and an automatic pool cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: noisy pool pump

If it sounds like bearings, start with bearings. Make sure you don't have anything (rock) in the impeller area.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Just be aware that most people don't touch their motor and discover it is hot until they suspect a problem. The real question is "is it hotter than before the problem'?. My fairly new Hayward Super Pump II is always hot to the touch as was my previous pump.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

4. Back To Top    #4

I took the plastic plug off to see if the motor will spin and it won't, I put a wrench on it and it turns very hard. I didn't move it much, I didn't want to break anything.
    27000 gallon in-ground with an Aqualink RS, Jandy Plus 1 hp pump, Aquapure 1400 swg, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy LX gas heater, Polaris 280 cleaner with a pb4-60Q booster pump, and an automatic pool cover.