Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleed natural gas lines, Jandy legacy LZR

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleed natural gas lines, Jandy legacy LZR

Hi,
    I had a natural gas generator installed, off a T from the line going to my pool heater. With the generator off, the pool heater doesnít light. I believe I need to bleed the 30+ foot section of natural gas pipe.

The problem is that inside the Jandy heater, the on/off valve for the gas is electric, with a warning to not try and open the valve manually.

Do you have any suggestions? Iíve tried lighting it about 5 times. The pipe running to the heater is all metalóits not like I could easily unscrew it.

Thanks.
    16,000 gallon, inground. Diamond bright finish. Hayward 1.5 hp superpump, quad 80 DE filter, Jandy legacy gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleed natural gas lines, Jandy legacy LZR

STRONG suggestion:

Call your gas company. Usually they will come and bleed/light appliances for free, just for the safety aspect of it.

Or call one of your local heating installers, although you may incur a service call charge from them.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

doesn't matter if the ignition is electronic or not....with a millivolt unit (standing pilot) you just push and hold the pilot button down until gas has reach the pilot and will light. I know at 12 ft it take a few minutes to reach the pilot..so for your 30+ feet, it could take a few minutes to get gas back to your unit. With the electronic ignition you don't have hold down a "pilot" button on the gas valve..you just will need to keep refiring the ignition UNTIL gas finally reaches it..then it'll start up.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Charlie--thanks. I'll probably end up doing that.

flyweed---thanks. The problem is it has an electronic control, so when i turn it on, the glow-plug goes on, and then it seems (I don't really know this) that the gas turns on for just a few seconds). I wonder if i would ruin the glow plug by continually turning it on. What do you think? Anyway, I'll probably try it a few more times, then call someone i guess.
    16,000 gallon, inground. Diamond bright finish. Hayward 1.5 hp superpump, quad 80 DE filter, Jandy legacy gas heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I shut down everything, found the screw just before the valve, and bled it for 3 minutes. The heater now works.

I'm guessing I should have let a pro do it, but that is what i did. Maybe stupid.

6. Back To Top    #6

You did good. If you know what you're doing it's not a problem. The otherway would have eventually gotten gas to the burner as well. THink of a camper..when you first turn on your LP tanks when you get to a campsite, and fire up the electronic ignition water heater, it will cycle a number of times BEFORE the gas will reach the glow plug. That's just the nature of the beast..same as your pool heater...but you got it bled anyway, so you are good to go.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump