Pebble Finish - Trouble Maintaining pH / TA

May 28, 2012
Morning! Our pebble remodel was completed at the end of June. Since then, I've been testing the water daily for pH and FC and a full panel weekly. Prior to the pebble remodel, I would utilize maybe a bottle of acid once a year. Since the remodel, I've gone through about 20 lbs of Baking Soda and 3 bottles of acid. There was a discussion in The Deep End but it seemed to be a very short discussion.

- Would I expect this high level of acid use to continue during the ownership of the pebble pool? Or is this temporary since we're perhaps still in a curing phase?
- Would it be advisable to hold TA at a lower level (below 70-90) for some time until pH stabilizes?

Full disclosure, at the start of the curing process I made the mistake of holding TA higher than 90 thinking a higher TA stabilized pH, but TA does not act like CYA :hammer: .

I hold my TA at 70-75 (without anything added, holds its own). But I do need to add at least 8 oz. Acid every other day to hold ph down, and that's only down to 7.7. My pool is cured 5 years. Just added borates to 50 to see if that keeps pH more stable. No salt.

My pool is a quartz finish but its only two months old. I was dumping acid in my pool every other day until just a few weeks ago. My TA is at 90 now and now my pH is holding strong at 7.6 for about a week. I think that your pool will stabilize as the pebble finish cures longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.