Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Threaded pipe fittings "underground" (kind of)?

1. Back To Top    #1

Threaded pipe fittings "underground" (kind of)?

When asking a question on an unrelated subject another member noticed that I used DWV long sweep elbows on a couple return lines.
    I'm going to replace tomorrow with sched 40 fittings. However, I may reconfigure my piping/equipment again next season.

I was thinking that instead of cutting and cementing a PVC coupling, short length of pipe and sch 40 elbow, I would cut and attach a female, threaded fitting to the return line coming from under the deck. The rest of the line would be configured with a male, threaded fitting at its end. This will allow me to reconfigure next year without shortening the pipe coming from under the deck.

Additionally, I'm planning on "vaulting" these pipes. I'll lay block on each side of the pipe (3 pipes run alongside each other) and then place flat stone on top of the block. The "vaulted" area will then be covered with gravel....it's only about 8' long and 18" wide. This will allow me to easily access for maintenance etc.

Thoughts on code, design improvement, alternatives or experience welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Anthony Pool, 35k gal plaster, DE (1.5hp Ultraflow), Rainbow 320, Dolphin Diagnostic 2001 (Advantage) & Polaris, Retrofitted Anthony mod #20 120v Niche light with Pentair 5G & adapter ring, 70's build / recoped and plastered 1.5 years ago

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Threaded pipe fittings "underground" (kind of)?

Before the advent of pvc there was probably thousands of miles of threaded steel pipe buried underground and you almost never heard of a joint leaking. I personally don't think it's a problem. I'm sure others will disagree, but if it does leak, you know where to look. And it's just pool water.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Glued fittings are so much easier and more reliable, I can't imagine why you would want to do what you propose. Cutting pipe is simple, quick, and reliable, I don't see any point in putting any effort into avoiding doing so. Glued will also be less expensive, though that isn't much of a difference in this situation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a limited amount of pipe coming from under the brick deck. I want to preserve as much as possible.
    Anthony Pool, 35k gal plaster, DE (1.5hp Ultraflow), Rainbow 320, Dolphin Diagnostic 2001 (Advantage) & Polaris, Retrofitted Anthony mod #20 120v Niche light with Pentair 5G & adapter ring, 70's build / recoped and plastered 1.5 years ago

5. Back To Top    #5

I would think a union would be a better option. Just have to replace o-ring if it started leaking. I have same issue with short pipe coming from ground and every cut moves it lower to ground. If union not option then maybe glue coupler and additional riser pipe to get above ground. Just some thoughts.

Seablue Grecian IG 18' x 37'(3' to 8' depth), Pentair Superflo 1hp(SF-N1-1A), Pentair Sand Dollar SD80, CircuPool RJ60 SWCG,1 x Intellibrite 5G Color LED, Diving Board, Home Made Solar Tube Heating System
    Future Additions - IntellifloVS, Landscaping(DIY and Contracted-Under Construction)