Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick Chlorine question

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick Chlorine question

My SWG died right as I was going out of town. They got it fix but I was gone for 2 weeks and alge got ahold of it. I know how to shock but have a question on what type of chlorine I have. I went to the pool store and asked for the cheapest way to put straight chlorine into the pool with no stabilizer/cyneric acid. I was given bio guard CLC3 which is 57.8% Calcium Hypochorite.

After doing some reseach it appears this is not striaght chlorine. If it is in fact not what other chemicals will it raise in the pool.

Thanks
    IG Freeform Gunite 32x16, 15000 gal, 1.5 Jandy Stealth Pump, Jandy 460 Cart. Filter, LED Light, Stone Scapes Tropics Blue Finish, Aqua Pure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick Chlorine question

cal-hypo raises the Calcium Hardness (CH) which can be a problem for your gunnite pool (scaling). What is your current CH level?

It likely will be better to use bleach/liquid chlorine.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

It's Cal-Hypo. The following are chemical facts independent of concentration of product and of pool size:

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it will also increase Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
    For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it will also increase CYA by 9 ppm.
    For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it will also increase Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm.

So the Cal-Hypo will raise your CH. If your CH isn't high, then that may be OK, but since you have a gunite (plaster) pool surface, your pool water is probably already near saturation with calcium carbonate. So you can probably use some of this product but don't overdo it. If your CH is already high, then use chlorinating liquid or bleach instead. Or if you think they will take back this product and exchange it for chlorinating liquid (if they sell it), then you can do that instead.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't take it back. I guess get rid of the algae first then worry about cal. I just checked cal and it was 500 I hope it is artificially high. At the first of the season it was fine and I have not added any to it.
    IG Freeform Gunite 32x16, 15000 gal, 1.5 Jandy Stealth Pump, Jandy 460 Cart. Filter, LED Light, Stone Scapes Tropics Blue Finish, Aqua Pure 1400

5. Back To Top    #5

Where do you live? What is the CH of your fill water? It is possible the CH came from there.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

I love in north Texas I don't think it's from fill water but will test tomorrow.

7. Back To Top    #7

Fill water is 70 is that where all the ca would be coming from

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

At the first of the season it was fine and I have not added any to it.
    The addition of Cal Hypo to your pool is the majority source of your CH problem. Don't use ANY more of it and keep your pH down around 7.2 - 7.4 and it should cause you know problems.

Splashout and rain water will slowly lower your CH.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

This is the first time I have ever used hypo cal and it will be the last. The pool is 3 years old and I have never done anything besides dump some bleach in after a party to help. So do I need to worry about ch being 500 and a fill water of 70. If I can avoid draining I will because we are in sever water restrictions.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

So do I need to worry about ch being 500 and a fill water of 70. If I can avoid draining I will because we are in sever water restrictions.
    Don't use ANY more of it and keep your pH down around 7.2 - 7.4 and it should cause you no problems.

Splashout and rain water will slowly lower your CH.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by alf1096
    Fill water is 70 is that where all the ca would be coming from
    Well that is strange then to have the CH get so high if you only added some recently and your fill water only has 70 ppm CH. Yes, evaporation and refill will increase the CH, but even if your entire pool volume evaporated and refilled in one year (not unreasonable if you have 54" of annual evaporation), that would be only a 70 ppm CH increase and even double that is 140 ppm CH. Perhaps over multiple years if you had no water dilution it would be possible, but still seems strange.

The good news is that a partial drain/refill would lower your CH level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"