Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fixing A Leaky Union

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix, AZ

Fixing A Leaky Union

Hello... I was curious any advice on replacing what seems to be a broken union. I have seen it leaking through the crack so not sure if I need to replace the whole thing or just the cracked band looking part?

Also, is this something a beginner with no plumbing experience attempt doing, or is this something to leave to a professional? If a professional, what would I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance for any/all advice...

[attachment=1:2043z1nr]Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 3.54.49 PM.png[/attachment:2043z1nr]

Attached Images Attached Images
    10000 Gallon Inground Plaster Pool with attached Spa, 2 Horse Pump, Hayward s244S Sand Filter, Hayward H250FD Heater, Quick Skim, Water Feature (waterfall from Spa to Pool), In-ground Pop-up Cleaning System (4 in spa, 13 in pool)

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Fixing A Leaky Union

Well you're lucky. You can unscrew the union nut and then unscrew the union half, elbow and threaded nipple. You'll have to replace those parts because they're glued so close together. Your biggest issue is going to be finding a union that exactly matches the existing one so you don't have to cut the plumbing on that side. However, if you can't find a match, there's enough space to cut the old one out and replace it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit