Need help with cloudy spa water; use BBB in above ground poo

horsegal

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2009
Riverside, CA
Hello,
I haven't been here in over a year because my AGP is crystal clear all the time thanks to what I've learned here. Now, hopefully you can give me some advise for my spa. It has been full of water and covered for about a year :oops: I actually thought I had drained it. Anyway, I sucked out all of the slimy looking stuff, but left about half of the "clear" water in it and added new to fill back up. I shocked it with 1/2 cup Leisure Time Renew (because I still have the stuff in my cabinet). It is potassium peroxymonosulfate. Then I added 4 tsp. Spa Guard one-step sanitizer which is sodium dichlor 82.5% and sodium bromide 14.7% other 2.8% (it claims to have something in it to help filter out small particles). All this is assuming I have a 450 gallons spa. I honestly don't remember. It is 7 ft. x 7ft. Cal Spa. Water temp is 80 degrees and filter ran for 2 hrs.

I just tested the water and here are my results:
pH is between 7.2 and 7.5 with my K-1000 test kit
Bromine 10 per K-1000
TA 50
CH 80

My water is still not as sparkly as I would like. I wouldn't describe it as cloudy exactly, but more like dull. With Bromine at 10 I assume it is sanitized. My question is, can I shock it again or some more using 12.5% chlorine at this point? I think it is like 1/2 cup that should be used. I assume the chlorine will eat up any contaminants. I just want to make sure I am not "over using or mixing wrong chemicals"!

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Re: Need help with cloudy spa water; use BBB in above ground

I know you aren't going to like this advice, but with water in the spa for a year I believe you really need to decontaminate it. There may very well be bacterial biofilms that won't be easily removed by chlorine alone. I suggest you add either SeaKlear Spa System Flush or Ahh-Some to the spa (per directions) and then superchlorinate per the instructions in this post (you shouldn't need to change the water in between these two steps -- just after you are done with the superchlorination).

You might just be lucky, but given the circumstances, I'd just do the right thing to start off on the right foot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.