UV and the Liquidator

May 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
I have a Liquidator on order but have several questions:

- My only site for the Liquidator gets full sun about 8 hours/day. I have read advice to spray paint the container to protect from UV. Is that good enough or should one build some type of enclosure for it? If enclosure, anyone have an easy design?

- A 2011 post suggested replacing the check valves, wrapping the fittings with Teflon tape and going to 3/8" fittings. I think Hasa has an upgrade kit that most of the units come with now that includes the 3/8" fittings. What about the current check valves? Are they still unreliable?

- Are there other things that need to be replaced before installing the unit?

Thanks for any tips.

I don't know if Hasa directly sells the upgrade -- I didn't think they did, but PST Pool Supplies does. [EDIT] According to this post, Hasa now uses the 3/8" fittings. [END-EDIT]

As for protection from UV, you would ideally use something that would also keep the chlorine cooler so if you use paint it should be opaque white. If you use an enclosure, make it white or reflective and have sufficient air circulation. Both UV and higher temperature accelerate chlorine degradation.

Thanks, chem geek. I'm thinking of just getting a large plastic bucket to cover it or maybe just the sunny side to give max circulation.

Know where I can snag a replacement pump drain plug with the hose fitting?? I have a Haywood pump, single speed

Thanks for the replies. One more question. water_man on his sticky post on tips for Liquidator users suggests replacing the check valves that come with the Hasa Liquidator. He mentions valves made by American Plastic. I think he means U.S. Plastic Corp. Is this the type of check valves he might be referring to, and is it really necessary to replace the ones provided by Hasa? http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=36844

That's not the check valves I would recommend.

I haven't seen the check valves with the new LQ's but I'd try them and only change them if you have a problem.

It would be great if you could put your pool and equipment info in your sig.

The 3/8" upgrade kit from PST Pool Supplies (available through Amazon) includes check valves and they seem just fine. You can get the upgrade kit as a stand-alone if you have not included it in your original order @ http://pstpoolsupplies.com/hasa-liquidator-spare-parts-kits-with-3-8-upgrade.aspx. It is well worth the expense

The only issue I have with the upgrade kit is that the flow adjustment valve is difficult to manipulate. However, that is a minor annoyance. I am happy with the Liquidator overall.

A late message.... Been very busy--- you might want to try a pinch valve for regulation. I've been using it this season with no problems so far and it's easy to make small adjustments versus the valve with the kits........... I'm on my 3rd year (I think) with the liquidator after leaving the pucks. Get it adjusted to what you want then add chlorine occasionally and that's 'bout it......Oh yeah,if you have problems with any parts HASA has been very good at replacement.......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.