Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward 6060 booster pump - replace seal or bearings ... ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward 6060 booster pump - replace seal or bearings ... ?

Hi Everyone,

we got 5 years of life out of our Hayward 6060 booster pump (running a phantom turbo cleaner). Lately the pump got loud and hot and soon trip the breaker (it has a separate breaker).

I wonder if the most likely case is a shot seal or blown bearings. I would prefer to attempt the replacement myself (with help from the experts here) but first I wanted to inquire what the likely cause is. I can't see evidence of a leak, but then I am not sure if the closed design of this pump would show a leak at all. I'd hate to replace the entire motor to avoid the cost and contributing to the landfill (plus, I like the challenge of fixing things).

Thanks!

Patrick
    Completed July 2008: 25,000 gal IG gunite, 3M "Smoke" Quartz, 6' sheer descent w/ fiberoptic light bar, 2 Hayward ColorLogic LED lights, IntelliFlo VF (running at 160 watts to filter - yeah !), Jandy PDA PS8, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG (running at 15% :o) ), 8 "Jet Flow" returns, 450 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, 480 sq ft HelioCol solar panels, Hayward VacAlert, Hayward Phantom Turbo, BBB method, TF-100 Test kit (of course !)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward 6060 booster pump - replace seal or bearings ...

It's most likely bad bearings, but you'll want to replace the seal when you replace the bearings.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I wasn't able to find parts diagrams for this motor - what is a good place to find these bearings / what are the specs? OK, I'll also replace the seal at the same time ...
    Completed July 2008: 25,000 gal IG gunite, 3M "Smoke" Quartz, 6' sheer descent w/ fiberoptic light bar, 2 Hayward ColorLogic LED lights, IntelliFlo VF (running at 160 watts to filter - yeah !), Jandy PDA PS8, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG (running at 15% :o) ), 8 "Jet Flow" returns, 450 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, 480 sq ft HelioCol solar panels, Hayward VacAlert, Hayward Phantom Turbo, BBB method, TF-100 Test kit (of course !)

4. Back To Top    #4

Just take them out and a local motor repair place or motion industries will have them.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I wasn't able to find parts diagrams for this motor - what is a good place to find these bearings / what are the specs? OK, I'll also replace the seal at the same time ...

Is it the 6203 type bearings? I saw them offered for Hayward motors but I am not sure if they are OK for the 6060 motor.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's probably the 6203. Look at the frame size of the motor and look up the dimensions of the bearing and that will if it'll fit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

You might give these guys a call. If It's anything like around here, the industry exists, but shop owners look at you like you have 3 heads or something! :P
    http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/index.html

I'm not sure if they carry bearings, but they do have a seal cross reference chart. Which your booster isn't listed on, but I'm sure they can help you if you call them with the info.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks like the part for the seal is SPX2700SA. http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-21780- ... parts.aspx

As for the bearings, if you're going to tear into it anyway, see if there's a number stamped on the seal of the bearing itself. Then you can just match it. It's likely going to be 6203, though.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

I recently replaced the seal in my 6060 booster pump with one from U.S. Seals. The part number is PS-200 and it works fine. I didn't have to do the bearings, so I can't help you there.
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, a big thank you to everyone. By mid-week I should have the seal and the bearings. Will let you know how it turns out ...