Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: D E on pool bottom

1. Back To Top    #1

D E on pool bottom

I had a service come out and show me some stuff with the pool, I just recently bought a house and first time pool owner... They pulled the filter out cleaned and investigated, mentioned everything looks healthy and its a good conditioned system. I added the suggested amount to my skimmer howerver one of two things happened, I put it in too fast and its now in the pool or something is bringing in because I possibly added to much. when My filter is off it sits and the pool looks amazing except for the de on the bottom but when filter kicks on it pushes everything around clouding the pool. So any advice?

Thanks!
    36,000 Gallons
    Whisper Flo WFE-8 2HP pump, Hayward DE6020, Purex minimax 400
    IG - 20 x 40 - 3.5 shallow - 8.5 foot deep, IG attached spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: D E on pool bottom

How much did you add and how quickly did you add it? Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I put in 7 lbs I have a 65a Hayward Filter, I just spent an hour sucking it all up with the vacuum, I shut off my pump and comes out of my skimmer, I like lava flowing out of a volcano... Back to a foggy pool! Any ideas?
    36,000 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Wait you said when you turn the pump off it comes out of the skimmer? If that's what is happening its lowing backward. There should be a check valve to prevent that.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have been reading, since this house was built it has been a DE filter, and I cant imagine them going this long dealing with DE flowing back in the pool, I have been reading on water levels, my pool is about 8 - 10 inches lower then when we first bought the home. Could this have something to do with this?
    36,000 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

too add to that, I cant say when the last time they serviced the pool, when I became the owner I had a service come to the house, we pulled the filter open cleaned off the dread locks and added DE, I added it to fast and thought that this was the cause, there was practically no DE in the filter at all.
    36,000 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

When you added the DE, how long did the pump run afterward before you turned it off? Is it possible that quite a bit was still left in the skimmer and hadn't had time to get washed downstream into the filter?
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess that could be possible, maybe I should of vaccummed it all up and then let the pump run for a couple of hours?
    36,000 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

bump
    36,000 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

IIRC, The Hayward filter has a check valve built into the filter base. I have the same filter, one size smaller, and it NEVER backs up. I think near the union where the filter connect to the pump is the check valve. gotta run. I will check back later.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100