Heating up above ground pool

Jul 20, 2013
As I've mentioned our AG is FREEZING (68-69F). We are contemplating emptying out a bit of the pool (it's actually overflowing from a big rain storm we had yesterday) and adding hot water from the house (our basement bulkhead is pretty close and can easily hook up a hose by the washing machine). I'm just wondering if anyone has done anything like this and if it helped at all. If we did JUST hot water for awhile I just wonder if it would bring it up a few degrees. Suggestions? Input?

We don't have a solar cover yet--we plan to get one for next season since ours is just about over :(. I'm thinking it may take too much hot water and not really be worth it. Oh well!

Sent with Tapatalk

Think how 40 gallons of 120* water will compare to 4000 gallons of 68* water....

Any sort of cover will help to some extent. Even a blue poly tarp.

Most of your heat loss is due to evaporation from the surface, so if you can control that, your pool will slowly warm to a decent swim temp.

My own experience with this: Without a cover, water temp closely follows air temp; with cover temp doesn't drop much, with as high as 20* difference between air and water temps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.