Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leave Dolphin in Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leave Dolphin in Pool?

I have a Dolphin Apollo Plus, which as near as I can tell is a branded DX4 model. It has an auto start cycle to run every 1, 2, or 3 days, which I would like to use. But, the manual says "after each cleaning cycle take it out of the water to prevent accelerated wear and tear on its plastic parts". Makes no sense to give us a feature and then tell us not to use it. Do any of you keep your robot in your pool, plugged in? Thank you.
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leave Dolphin in Pool?

Leaving pool robots in the pool tends to result in getting algae. The water inside and immediately around the robot has poor circulation and that tends to serve as a breeding ground for algae. Running the robot at least as often as daily is usually enough to prevent this, however the current crop of robots are neither designed nor warrantied for daily usage and will break down much more frequently than they will when used as recommended.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Makes sense, thanks.
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I have an Aquabot T4 Turbo remote, and previously had an Aquabat Turbo Plus. I tend to leave mime in the pool most of the time. I can get with the T4 six to eight hours between filter bag cleanings, so I just run the bot one to two hours every day or so to vacuum and I think more importantly to help mix the water especially in the deep end. Whether you take your bot out or not, I strongly recommend NOT using the auto cycle feature; because you never know when someone might pull it out of the pool and have it run out of the water. I learned this the hard way. My first Aquabot was supplied with an outdoor Xmass light type timer (believe it or not it came with this timer because it was the more advanced RC unit) that went on at the same time ever day. One day the lawn guys pulled the bot from the pool when mowing, and did not put it back. The result was the bot turned on moved up to my fence and ran out of the water for the full cycle burning out all three motors. It took a bit of arguing with the manufacture, but I got it fixed under warranty. I claimed that the unit was defective because of the type of timer. I did add a dial timer on the socket so never had the problem again.
    28x52 In ground, former cement pond (really) about 43.5k gallons
    Hayward EcoStar VS pump
    Hayward Pro Grid DE7220 DE filter
    Pool Pilot Digital 220 with the SC60 cell,
    4 returns, 3 skimmers and 2 bottom drains
    Raypak Rheem PMHP 8300TI 137k btu heat pump
    Liquid Solar blanket
    Aquabot T4 Turbo RC.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I would really like to leave my robot in the pool (Dolphin Premier). I run it every day and use the large bag to catch debris so I could go several days before I have to empty the bag.

My common sense nags at me though and won't let me do it. Sun, rain and especially chlorinated water can't be good for all the sealed parts in a robot so I make myself drag the robot out after each cleaning cycle and "park" it in a little semi-cover I have made for it to keep out most of the rain and all of the UV.

Also, as JasonLion notes, the debris in your bag will start to decompose rather quickly and you will have a breeding ground for stuff you really don't want in your pool.

It's a PITA, but removing and cleaning your robot each day makes good sense on several levels.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

DO NOT leave a dolphin cleaner in the pool constantly...Take it out and let it dry out. Trust me, I have first hand experience. My last Dolphin Diagnostic, I left in all the time...the motor, circuit board unit inside the dolphin is sealed tightly with a rubber O ring gasket and screws..but given enough time underwater, the water WILL start to seep into the seals and RUIN your circuit board. Ask me how I know!

It's best to let it run, then take it out, clean the bags, and let the robot dry out. It'll give you a much longer robot life, at least on these units.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I guess I am a little anal....I even rinse it in fresh non-chlorinated water....
    32000 gallon, inground, fiberglass, Aqua-Rite SWG, Pentair 420 sqft cartridge filter (Installed-ya baby), Hayward Super II pump 1.5 hp, 144k BTU heat pump, Dolphin Dx5 Plus, and a good test kit from Duraleigh!

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't like the idea of those old organics - dead leaves - staying in the pool all the time.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

And worse, the mealy bugs and earthworms that stink to high heaven even after only a few hours. I clean the cartridges after each cycle, as soon as possible after use. No big deal. As for the multi-day timer feature, it's of little use because of the debris build up and the requirement to remove the unit from the pool between cycles.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks. I had the same question and this gave me the answer. My first visit to this site--very helpful. Harry F.