Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Filter Installation TODAY.. questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New Filter Installation TODAY.. questions

Hello. Had some multi valve and lateral problems and decided to just buy all new.. and go with a bigger filter. (my pool: 24ft round, AG). Went from 18 inch filter to 24 in filter. Running a 1 hp pump.

Anyway.. the filter arrived yesterday. Everything seems to be there.... but instruction manual is somewhat vague. I have read here and watched you tube videos on filter installs, sand replacement, etc etc.. So I think I have a pretty good understanding of the procedure. But, as usual.. something comes up that I am not sure of.

FIRST: The laterals on this unit do not fold up.. so you must put the main shaft inside the tank then attach the laterals. Theres no mention of correct lateral installation in the manual. It seems that these slide in.. then a quarter turn to the right.. is that it? They are not loose.. but they don't screw in tight either. I guess the sand holds them in place? Or am I missing something?

ALSO: This was in the box.. just kinda loose.. anybody know what it is.. or what it's for? Looks kinda like a mini vacuum hose you would use in an aquarium.. odd.

close up of end:

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: New Filter Installation TODAY.. questions

Which model/brand of filter did you buy?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Which model/brand of filter did you buy?
    this one.. I think it may be a generic.. have seen several brands that look like this. The owners manual has no brand name. ... 0942645138

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

It looks like an air vent, but those top valve filters don't usually need one because the air will purge right out the outlet.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

yes.. it is an air vent. I had to go buy some filter sand. so I took it with me to the pool store. they said exactly what you said.. and told me I didn't need it with my filter.

by the way.. the new filter is installed and running! waiting for the water to clear up.. it's been a week with no filter.. only circulating the water.