Calcium Chloride Question

Hello,

Today I added about 14lbs of CH Increaser to my pool as it was originally filled with soft water testing at around 80ppm. My goal was to raise it to around 200-250. Now my concern is that since I have added the increaser I can't seem to manage my FC level. It has been dropping a few ppm about every hour it seems. Is this normal?? I had to add about 200 or so ounces of chlorine today alone in order to keep it up. I'm concerned that when I get up tomorrow morning the FC level will be at zero once again.

Any help here would be great. Thanks.

I will post results tomorrow morning. Everything was perfect since the increaser addition. Also is there a reason I shouldn't test with the ColorQ Pro? My results are almost exact to the K-2006 results. Only numbers off by only a couple ppm are the CH and CYA test, all other tests are exact.

Well it looks like perhaps I may have not waited long enough to take a water sample as I took it from the inline spigot and not from the pool itself as I normally do.

Either way, it looks like the chlorine is holding fine now.

Here are the test results from both kits as requested from 8:30am this morning. Looks like the ColorQ is reading a bit lower than most of the K-2006 results except for CH.

ColorQ Pro:
FC - 8.5
pH - 7.7
TA - 89
CH - 236
CYA - 72
CC - 0

K-2006:
FC - 9.5
pH - 7.8-7.9
TA - 100
CH - 210
CYA - 80
CC - 0

kendjelic said:
Yeah last night at about 1am the FC came in at 10.
Assuming the 10 ppm FC came from K-2006 then you it appears you have passed the OCLT and are good to go.

Your cya is very high for a non-swg pool, so do not let your FC get below 6 ppm. If you continue to see high daily FC usage I would repeat the OCLT but this time get up near your SLAM level of 31 ppm when doing the test.

Regarding the CYA, I drained about 12-16 inches from the pool yesterday and refilled with our hard tap water as the pool was originally filled using our water softener which was a mistake hence my adding 14lbs of hardner. My test were reading my CYA at about 100-110 consistently so was hoping to drop it some which it did although not much.

Living in AZ, our pool is in direct sunlight daily and today the high is 103. Would lowering my CYA to about 40-50 cause a concern as I would assume that sun would eat all of my chlorine in a heartbeat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, with an algae free pool, you would use more chlorine at 40-50 ppm cya compared to 80 ppm.. 80 ppm can and does work, but you must be vigilant. If your FC drops and you get algae, it will take much more chlorine to remove it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.