New Pool Build (Prosper, TX)

Jul 15, 2013
Prosper, TX
Hi all -- We're finally about to get this contract signed and get rolling! We got quite a few quotes and quite a few different design approaches, but we very quickly decided on Robertson Pools. Our salesman Aaron Boulton knocked it out of the park with the design right from the start. There were several other fantastic salespeople and companies and most of them listened to me, but Aaron is the only one who really heard me. We have an existing covered stamped concrete back patio and outdoor kitchen that we had built last year, so the pool needed to incorporate nicely with that to make the whole back yard feel like a seamless entertainment space. Also, our yard slopes front to back. It's not terrible, but enough to warrant some design and engineering decisions. Many of the companies seemed to phone in the design by telling us we should start the pool level near the house and then have a reverse beam at the bottom of the slope. And then at some point it occurred to me that with a pool depth of 4' on the far side, we would have 31" sticking out of the ground!! Our lot also backs up to a neighborhood perimeter brick wall maintained by the HOA and we have a gorgeous greenbelt/pond view behind us that we cherish. We wanted to maintain our view, but also try to offer ourselves some privacy in the pool and spa and somewhat on the decking in between.

The Robertson design involves a great deal of extra excavation because they're essentially ripping our yard down 18" on that side of the patio before they start the hole for the pool. They're adding stone steps on the front and side of the patio to get down to pool deck level, with raised stone planters along the house and the corner of the patio, and various retaining walls in the yard where it makes sense. We love this design and think it is going to look fantastic when it's done. We maintain our view, and still have some privacy around the pool -- and all without the massive reverse beam. Anyway, here's the summary:

Summary of Pool and Project Specifications:
• 103’ Perimeter with 571 Square Foot surface area Pool & Spa
• 101’ Perimeter with 518 Square Foot surface area Pool
• 35'6" x 16'6" - 18,500 gal.
• 3.5’ x 5.0’ x 4.0’ Recreational Pool, Wet Deck w/ 2 Bubblers
• 12” Raised Custom Spa w/(8) Waterway Therapy Jets / Massage Jet Package
• 1.5 QT Air Blower/ Spa Fountain & Tiered Stone Spillway
• Split Captain Bench to - 4” & Custom Spa Arm Rest Upgrades
• Jandy 60 Sq. Ft. DE Filter w/ backwash line or CL 580 Cartridge - Optional
• Jandy Variable Speed E-Pump / Energy Efficient
• Jandy 1.5HP Booster Pump – Water Features
• Jandy LXI 400,000 BTU Natural Gas Heater / Energy Efficient
• Jandy iAqua Link RS PR6 Controls w/ Aqua Palm Wireless Remote
• Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner w/ Dedicated booster pump
• Jandy Pro Never Lube Valves
• Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator and Ozone Purification Sanitizers
• (2) 500W Pool Lights and (1) 100W Spa Light
• 727 Sq. Ft. Colored and Textured Decking w/ V Ball and Umbrella Sleeves
• 6” Stone Step Risers per plan
• 12” Oklahoma Stone Pool Coping & 18” Oklahoma Stone Spa Cap
• 18” Oklahoma Stone Walls w/ Concrete Footings
• Grotto Waterfall on 3” Notched Pool Beam per plan
• (3) LED lights and transformer for Grotto light feature (lights mounted on bench under grotto aiming up at the waterfall)
• Natural 12” / 18” Weeping Wall Waterfall on 3” Notched Pool Beam
• Irrigation Modifications and Repair Included by RPI
• Wet Edge Luna Quartz Interior Finish
• (2) Pallets Sod Allowance By RPI
• 14 L/F 8’ Side Fence Section and 8’ Gate per plan
• Flood Light @ Pool Equipment (it's on the dark side of the house -- I had them add a flood light)
• Bobcat Grading, Backfill Soil and 18” Landscape Timber Retainer Wall for Play Set Area prior to Pool Excavation (there is a large wooden play set currently sitting where the pool is going to go -- had to do some work on the opposite side of the yard to get it level enough to move it over there)

Attachments

• proposa6-closeup(sm).jpg
    proposa6-closeup(sm).jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,209
I am looking forward to your build!

lazychicken said:
• Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator and Ozone Purification Sanitizers
Skip the ozone, there is no need for it in a typical outdoor residential pool that is properly chlorinated. The Rainbow 320 is a trichlor puck feeder which can be okay for very occasional use such as a vacation, but should not be used as your primary chlorine source. If it was me, I wouldn't even have it installed.

I also live in prosper. We are getting ready to start a build with Southernwind. My yard also slopes front to back about 4 feet total. We chose to step down 30 inches.

With only 18 inches step down, you may have some exposed back beam. Are they going to veneer?

Howdy, Prosper neighbor! :)

No, the way they have it worked out in my case there won't be a lot of exposure left and they will be able to just grade to it without it being very steep. I know my math might not look quite right from what I wrote at the top, but they've got the pool positioned a little differently than the earlier guys did. I wanted to step it down, but in my case I didn't want to step down so far that it felt like the existing patio was on a pedestal, if that makes sense. With the way they've designed it in our yard, the 18" step down will give the whole yard a greater feeling of continuity. Hopefully it works out that way in real life!

Update: Received HOA approval. Still waiting on the building permit from the town. They tell me it will be done on Thursday of this week (9/5).

Also still working on having our playset moved to the other side of the yard. The new location for it wasn't level enough so the pool company came in Friday and built a retaining wall structure to level it. Then it rained all weekend on the new fill dirt. When the playset company guys arrived yesterday to move the playset, they said it was too muddy. Rescheduled for Thursday. In the meantime the pool company guys are going to come back and do some more work to prepare the new dirt a little better.

Hopefully we can get the thing moved and also get our town permit on Thursday, and then we can finally get a dig date.

Playset is nicely situated in its new home and looks great, but that leaves a pool-sized space in the sweet spot of my yard. The town approved our building permit today, so hopefully we'll be digging by early next week. I should get a definite date tomorrow.

So they started digging on Wednesday (9/18). They had to start by knocking a bunch of the yard down quite a bit. Then on Thursday they came back and dug the pool. Just in time for a downpour all night and a steady rain most of the day. Fortunately when I got up this morning expecting to see the hole half full of water, there was no water standing in it at all. PB texted this morning to ask how bad it was. I told him what it looked like and texted him some pics. He said they'll probably be able to rebar tomorrow then.

Our backyard before the destruction started (from the view of the wireless IP camera mounted in my office window so I could watch from out of town)
ehuhu3yg.jpg

Here it comes...
5aga2u9u.jpg

Tearing down the yard
yre6emaj.jpg

duvu2u5u.jpg

qu4yta3a.jpg

bu4edete.jpg

The culprits
quda4eby.jpg

Laying out the pool perimeter
ny8yhery.jpg

All dug up...
ja3apyre.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry, been out of town and am not doing a good job keeping you all updated on progress! The completed the steel, then roughed in plumbing (which seems backwards to me but they swear they've been doing it this way for 30 years and they're pretty good at it so I'll trust them). Then we quickly passed inspection yesterday, and they sprayed gunite today. I got home just in time to start watering the gunite haha.

depasy7y.jpg

I'll see if I can find a way to get some better perspective shots tomorrow. Maybe time to climb on the roof.

Holy cow! The tile & coping crew showed up this morning! For those not paying attention, today is Friday and they just sprayed gunite on Wednesday (2 days ago). I'll add pics later after they get finished for the day. They don't have the boulders for the waterfall features today, but they should be able to get everything else done.

Haha! Sorry about the delay. I needed to spend some time cleaning out the pool after the crew left. I took one kinda diagonal picture to try to fit the whole thing in one shot. Supposedly they're coming back tomorrow to finish up the spa coping, and install all the boulders and water features.

ze9u7uny.jpg

One holdup might be that we have several of the Oklahoma flagstone coping pieces that are a bit too crumbly and we need to see about having them replaced. Our PB was out of town on Friday when the tile & coping crew was here, so he'll get his first look tomorrow.

EDIT - After posting this from my phone, I went to look at it from my PC to make sure it posted correctly. Only then did I realize the picture I posted was actually BEFORE I spent several hours cleaning up the pool after the tile & coping crew left. Sorry. I'll post a cleaner one tomorrow after I get some daylight to take another one. I know the tile & coping guys are coming back to finish their job and they probably expected they could clean up the site once they were done. But you have to remember that the tile & coping guys showed up here only two days after our gunite was sprayed. So I'm still supposed to be watering the gunite several times a day. And it seemed like a bad idea to me to spray a bunch of water all weekend on all the trash these guys left in the pool on Friday. A wee bit annoyed because the crew KNEW I was going to have to be watering all weekend and yet they still left it a mess.

The rock crew came back and did a lot of the stones for the weeping wall and started the grotto (right side of wall with the bench under it). We're VERY pleased with the outcome so far. The weeping wall part (most of the wall except the right end) will have water pumped over it in several places, presumably where the big flat stones are built into it. And then the grotto will have quite a bit of water flowing over it to make a nice waterfall. You can also see the conduit sticking up from the bench -- those will be where the 3 small LEDs will be aiming up at the waterfall.

usa4ysa3.jpg

tyhesygu.jpg

They installed Oklahoma flagstone coping around pool and it looked fantastic when first installed. It has some very rich colors and awesome variation that we just love. But right from the first day, one of the stone was very flaky. I asked the installer guy about that stone when they came back on Monday and he said something to the effect that it was normal and it would only flake off the top layer and then would be fine. And that the color underneath would be the same at what was on top. Now several days later, easily half (maybe more) of the coping stones are flaking pretty badly. And from what I can tell, the ones that had the vibrant colors on top now have dull grey on the layer underneath.

I have raised the issue and my PB has looked at it and is appropriately concerned about it. I believe he'll be out here tomorrow with his boss and I trust they'll have a good plan to remedy it. I'd love it if they could powerwash the top layer off and the layer underneath would stay solid and have the same vibrant colors. After quite a bit of googling though, I'm wondering if they just ended up with a crappy batch of stone and they'll need to yank it all out and lay in some good ones. It would be disappointing to be revisiting this flaking stone issue a year or two from now so I want to fix it now.

Anyone have any experience with flaking Oklahoma flagstone?

As suspected, they're going to try power washing it first. I've heard from several folks who say they had similar issues that were resolved simply by power washing the top layer off to get down to the natural fissure line of the stone. As I said before, if love it if this ended up being the solution without ripping/replacing the stone.

In other news, there was a plumbing crew here most of the day yesterday with a Bobcat backhoe-type digger. They created all the trenches and ran all the pool plumbing lines, and also installed all the mechanical pool equipment (filter, heater, pumps, etc).

The electricians called to say they'll be here Monday morning to get their part of the work done, and also to repair/bury the electrical line powering my outdoor kitchen that was cut on the very first day of digging. I'll be glad to have that back!

The weather is supposed to cooperate so hopefully they will complete the framing and steel for the decking next week and get it inspected. Heck, maybe they'll even get it poured. That would be great. Then all that would be left is the various stone retaining walls, the stone steps down from my patio to the decking, and then plaster and water.

We're in the home stretch!

Got all the decking framed and rebar in place today. Ready for inspection. They're going to deal with the flaky coping stones before pouring the decking though. I'm pretty happy about that. My construction manager, my salesman, and the owner of the company are all incredibly concerned about the coping stone issue which is very comforting to me. It's great when everything goes perfectly, but you don't really find out the character of a company until you see how they react when things don't go perfectly. Especially things that were out of their control in the first place (like stone quality).

I'll try to post pics of the whole project with the framed decking tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.