New Pool Build (Prosper, TX)

adu2y7e9.jpg

u4ezyren.jpg

ezysety6.jpg

No poured decking pictures yet. The town inspector failed the framing when he came by on Thursday. His comment was vague, but something to do with wanting us to prove we hadn't violated the 8' wall maintenance easement along the back. The interesting thing it that the decking is exactly the same distance away from the wall as the pool, and the pool passed the pre-gunite inspection with flying colors. So on Friday my construction manager and I spent some time carefully remeasuring to make sure we hadn't missed something. And then we scratched our heads and wondered if that was even the easement they were referring to (since they were vague). Finally he drove over to the town office and was able to talk to the head inspector, explained our point of view, and asked what we were missing. The inspector was swayed by our argument, apologized for the mixup, and approved the decking. Unfortunately by this point we had already lost our Friday for pouring. And, of course, now we have rain in the forecast for several days. So it could end up delaying us for a week. I realize we're already about three weeks ahead of schedule so I really shouldn't complain. But that's not gonna stop me! :)

Oh, and the PB folks have changed their mind and decided to deal with the coping stone issue later. They don't want to hold up the build progress, and it really doesn't make any difference if they fix it now or later. I'm happy with that answer.

The stone crew arrived yesterday and started working on building all the retaining walls and steps. They'll be here a few days finishing all that I bet. I'm really excited about this part for some reason. And also excited that we're do close to completion!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I questioned the same thing when we were planning this, but I actually like how it turned out. The patio and patio cover were a preexisting project we did last year. They ended up doing about 5' in either side of that post and it looks nice when you see it in real life. Because of how wide the steps are there it doesn't feel cramped. You don't feel like you're having to squeeze around the post to walk down. So I'd say just make sure the steps are wide enough and you should be good. But yeah, I agree when you see it on paper it makes you stop and wonder if it's a good idea or not.

lazychicken said:
I questioned the same thing when we were planning this, but I actually like how it turned out. The patio and patio cover were a preexisting project we did last year. They ended up doing about 5' in either side of that post and it looks nice when you see it in real life. Because of how wide the steps are there it doesn't feel cramped. You don't feel like you're having to squeeze around the post to walk down. So I'd say just make sure the steps are wide enough and you should be good. But yeah, I agree when you see it on paper it makes you stop and wonder if it's a good idea or not.

Great, thanks. Your build is looking really good!

Alright after several weather delays, and schedule challenges related to those weather delays, we finally got plaster today. They were here bright and early and dropped the hoses right at 10:00am. It is 11:45pm as I type this and I'm guessing maybe another 2 hours or so and it will be full.

Some pics from today:

Preparing to get started...
vypy2e6y.jpg

Nice shoes!
judupuzy.jpg

Throwing down the plaster...
7u4a8a9a.jpg

Sculpting...
8e8a2y9u.jpg

The water begins...
hamy2y5a.jpg

Hoses in the pool!
u7u7ebug.jpg

Late afternoon pic. Trying to capture the whole backyard. It's so amazing to consider that 2 months ago this was just grass on the same level as the patio. I think it is significantly more interesting now!
zyruqajy.jpg

The patio cover was part of our initial project last year. We expanded the patio from a 10'x10' pad to the 16'x28' stamped patio with the cover and the outdoor kitchen as it is today. As funny as it sounds, we had our concrete guy GC the whole project for us. I had gotten a bunch of quotes from separate builders for the cover but Juan introduced me to the subs he works with and I saw examples of their work and was impressed. Juan Avila, owner of Roman Concrete in McKinney. www.romanconcrete.net

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.