Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SUCCESS!! Replaced INTEX motor bearings!!

1. Back To Top    #1

SUCCESS!! Replaced INTEX motor bearings!!

Hi All.

My 2nd season old INTEX 1650gph sand filter motor became sooooooooo noisy we were turning it off when in the pool due to the noise. I mean dump truck with bricks rattling around in the back kind of noisy!

We came back from vacation and literally- I could hear it from the driveway.

I took a deep breath and tore into it.

Nothing around the impeller. Dug deeper. Got down to the motor only and it was without a doubt a bad bearing. Mind you- not much play in the motor shaft at all, but rock crushing noise when switched on.

I got the case separated and used a small 2 jaw puller to remove the bearings. (NOTE: a small "e" clip locates the bearing. remove before pulling. Another "e" clip locates the cooling fins which also have to be removed)
    Bearing markings are 608 ZZ
    The bearing size is 8mm(bore/I.D.) x 22mm (O.D) x 7mm(thick)
    This is a common size for skateboard wheels.

I got this replacement bearing
    The cost for a pair including tax was $2.13.

I used a deep well socket with the same diameter as the inner race to gently drive the bearing back on, just making contact with the re-installed "e" clip.

Back together now and what's that you hear?..........NOTHING. Just water. It's as quiet as a church mouse.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: SUCCESS!! Replaced INTEX motor bearings!!

Nice work jerallen

Thanks for posting the fix!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Great work! Thanks for the post. There are a lot of people with intex pumps that could use this in the future.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry for no pics guys.
    Anyone that's even a little mechanically inclined can do this fix. Just proceed slowly and don't knock your screws/nuts off the workbench 4 times.