Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can hear air girgling through tube sucking water into filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Can hear air girgling through tube sucking water into filter

Hey guys. I have an intex AGP with a (i think) 1,500 gallons per hour filter. the filter just isn't sucking right, you can hear it girgling (cant think of how else to describe it) through the tube sucking water into the filter, and every time i do the air release on the top of the filter cannister, you can tell there's a lot of air in there because it takes a while before water starts spilling out.

What are some common causes for that that I should check in to? Someone told me i might need to just put some grease or something on some of the black plastic o-rings? I'm new to all this.
    Intex 16x48 UltraFrame AGP, included filter pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can hear air girgling through tube sucking water into fi

Sounds like an air leak. Get some pool lube (silicon grease) and lube all o-rings on all connections.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

So did I put the stuff on both sides of the black plastic orings or just one?
    Intex 16x48 UltraFrame AGP, included filter pump

4. Back To Top    #4

For round o-rings, you can apply it generously and work it around to both sides without removing the o-ring. Flat o-rings should only need it on one side. Inspect the o-rings first for any cracks which may be causing the problem.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater