Any reason to be concerned? (AGP Installation Question)

Well they came out today and appear to have it straightened out.

[attachment=0:482881yk]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376328005.086557.jpg[/attachment:482881yk]

Now to refill about 7-8k gallons...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376328005.086557.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376328005.086557.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 89
Drained about half of it, which is sickening how fast they can pump it out with two pumps running. Wish it filled that fast!

Then since it wasn't back-filled yet (I guess that's redundant for me to say since you can see that in the pics), we just removed the little amount of dirt piled around the upright. From there you could see the block and sure enough it had cracked. We pushed against the upright to relieve just enough pressure to remove the busted block and replace it.

Well...well... It would appear that upright has came back out. Maybe not quite as far but it has. So I'm torn on what to do - any suggestions?

Also, should those walls be straight (looking down the uprights) or should there be a slight arc?

I would assume that the ground was not compacted correctly, the rain softened the ground, the paver busted and now the area under the supports needs to be filled with a compactable gravel mix. Looks to me that the pool needs to come down. Looks like some soil work was done before the pool. Did they fill in this area with dirt?

No, there was no fill anywhere on the property. I did have a high area next the where the pool was to be installed cut out with a pan to prevent rainwater / runoff heading towards the pool area.

I am replying to a PM in this public thread to provide this answer to everyone reading now and in the future.

shltn said:
I was present while the dirt work was done. There was no fill used (as it shouldn't since its 14-18" down), it was all dug down and scraped level with transit and backhoe. When they dug out for the uprights/pavers I did notice they would shoot with a transit and adjust as needed. Sometimes using sand to raise the pavers by as much as 1/2-3/4".

It sounds ok EXCEPT where you said "sand to raise the pavers". It sounds like when the water settled in that area the sand washed out. Sand has no ability to provide any strength...as you have seen. Either they needed to only dig to native dirt for the upright supports or they needed to fill with a compactable fill (a specific type of gravel). Modified 2A is one name for this gravel but it is a regional thing as to what they use locally. 2A compacts into a hard surface that does not wash out or become soft when wet. If they filled the area under this support leg with sand, I would have to assume (dangerously, i know) this is what washed out from under the support.

Any sand installed on the interior of the pool, above or below a liner, would be for the cove, protection of the liner and user comfort. Interior sand is not a structural item.

Totally agree and was my initial thought when I saw them doing it. But fear of the dreaded "I've been doing this for XX years..." response I didn't question them on it. Now I'm seeing that speaking up would've been the smarter move. Saved this mess and saved them additional time to return and correct it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMHO Pool installers only install pools, they don't need to deal with the results of the install once they are done with a job. They move on to the next job unless the "squeaky wheel" squeaks. They assume that unless you say something, you are happy.

Good luck.

So here is an update and of course is followed by a question :)

I'm getting these uprights fixed properly in the next few days. At the time of this being done I am considering getting a Pool-Crete bottom installed. It may just be poor tamping / install of the sand but with the pool only a few weeks old and all the dents, mushy, etc - I'm not loving the sand.

The estimate I was given is $1500 - how does that sound in terms of average cost? Also, what is general consensus on Pool-Crete / hard bottom for AGPs? Worth the money? Better experience? Any pros/cons on the liner life?

Another thing I wondered about is would the Pool-Crete add any additional support / pressure to help protect against partial burial pressure in the future? Not a make or break thing, just curious on everyone's thoughts.
My second question is, I'd considered waiting until early Spring to get the Pool-Crete installed, but I'm not sure what effect that may have on my deck plans through the fall. If I waited till Spring, they obviously have to drain the pool, so would I be able to backfill before then? Or would that pressure of the backfill (only a 6-8 months old by then) be problematic?

Look forward to your thoughts!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.