Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Above Ground Pool with Retaining Walls

1. Back To Top    #1

Above Ground Pool with Retaining Walls

We had the below retaining walls constructed in our yard. We plan on installing a 16x32 doughboy Copper Canyon pool on the flat part. Does anyone see any issues with doing this? The flat portion was compacted and full of rock. Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Jason --
    12K gal, 16'x32'x52" AG Doughboy Copper Canyon on top of Retaining Wall, Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Above Ground Pool with Retaining Walls

IMHO if it was compacted properly you should be fine.

If your unsure or you want to be sure, and not in a hurry for the pool, I would let it sit for a year to let it go thru a cycle of the seasons and settle any if it is going to. Then you know and if it did settle any you can fix it before the pool goes up.

The walls look nice!
    43x21x54" Sharkline/Wilbar Above Ground with hopper, 26,000 Gal
    Sta-rite 22 in sand filter with Zeosand removed reg pool sand installed, Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump, Poolsmart Climber Robot, TF-100 Test kit, poolskim, hard plumbing with second return added for poolskim, fafco solar heater, Luiquidator

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are confident your compaction is complete, you should be OK.

It you waited until spring to build, you would see any low areas that develop during the winter and you could address them without a pool full of water on it.

Looks like the walls were engineered with the deep blocks?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, I'm not sure where you are located, but I'd wait a full year's cycle of season to let that earth settle, freeze, thaw, heat up, etc. We even had our builder HIGHLY suggest this for just a 2 stall detached garage, because of settling issues. I would HATE to put a very heavy swimming pool on a surface like that, which has just been built up to level.

My two cents.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

I think you're good to go if it has been properly compacted with the right materials.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

I would not unless it was a concrete pad. Rule #1 is do not build up to level, dig down onto solid ground. I have seen retaining walls collpase over years due to erosion, poorly constructed, heavy rains, ground shifting, etc. At least a concrete pad would reinforce it.
    Saying that however, if the pad was several years old, and heavily compacted that may be a different story.

I would consider using the area in front of the second wall, and turning that newly done section into your patio/pool/party area! You would almost have a walk in pool due to the height differences, and have an awesome size pool party area.

7. Back To Top    #7

Seems like the comments at about 50/50 on the plan. I was assured by the company that built the walls that the area is compacted and will not settle. It is compacted with gravel and dirt using 6" lifts. I'm probably going to let it set for a few weeks and go for it. The way the walls are set up I will walk directly off my patio to pool level where a deck will be built.
    -- Jason --
    12K gal, 16'x32'x52" AG Doughboy Copper Canyon on top of Retaining Wall, Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I have been building for over 30 years and there is no way where I live that I would build on fill dirt. As a builder I wouldn't want the liability of something happening that is due to ground settling.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

9. Back To Top    #9

My pool sits on 55 tons of compacted 2A modified. No problems. If your fill is the right material, put in, in reasonable sized lifts and compacted properly you'll be ok.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

You should be ok, i was in the same situation with about a 4' slope in my backyard and i wanted my pool to be even with my existing deck. So i installed a retaining wall also, this will be my third year with no issues. I did install a perforated pipe about 3' to 4' down during the backfill process to carry water out to the drain i installed in the wall.
    i attached some old pictures.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

11. Back To Top    #11

Couple more shots.
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

12. Back To Top    #12

@johnnysnok, thank you. Your pool, walls, and deck look very nice. This gives me some assurance it will work out. The company that installed my walls also have drain pipe around the walls to help with the drainage.
    -- Jason --

13. Back To Top    #13

I had the pool installed last week and it is now full of water and running. It's early but i haven't seen any settling issues. I am now trying to tackle water chemistry. My pH is very high, around 8.4. I'm guessing i need to add quite a bit of PH minus, correct?
    -- Jason --

14. Back To Top    #14

Muariatic Acid (MA) is less expensive but a touch more difficult to deal with as it is a strong, smelly acid. That being said, adding MA to the pool immediately changed the pH in my pool last week. You add MA and your pH is adjusted within 30 minutes. You pour liquid MA slowly in front of where your water returns to the pool, with the pump running.

You can use dry acid but it takes longer and can be more expensive and the powder can damage your liner.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

15. Back To Top    #15

This is what I use. This box will read that the MA is 34.5% or 20 baume. I have also bought 29%. "Pool" MA is 14.5% and costs essentially the same as the full strength MA. Be careful when buying as the inventory can be mixed. You need to select the correct package.

-- Guy --

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    Muariatic Acid (MA) is less expensive but a touch more difficult to deal with as it is a strong, smelly acid. That being said, adding MA to the pool immediately changed the pH in my pool last week. You add MA and your pH is adjusted within 30 minutes. You pour liquid MA slowly in front of where your water returns to the pool, with the pump running.

You can use dry acid but it takes longer and can be more expensive and the powder can damage your liner.
    Most of us use MA. Keep in mind that it is an acid. It will etch concrete and you don't want to get too close because of the fumes and splash risk. I always wear safety glasses or sunglasses when I pour it slowly into the pool. I poor it slowly over a running return in the deep end so the current and large volume of water dilute it quickly. Don't pour so fast it splashes or gurgles. I have an in ground pool so the tendency is to kneel down on the deck and lean over to pour. That puts your face close to the action if you don't pay attention.

It sounds worse than it is but if you have never handled it before there are some basic safety issues you need to be aware of. Better safe than sorry.

I have a number of pool shirts with spots from bleach when I got in a hurry but none from the acid. I pay more attention to the acid.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

17. Back To Top    #17

Adding MA to an AG pool can place the top of the wall near your face. I tend to remove my shirt when adding chems to my pool to avoid any bleach spots. I have a lexan pitcher I use to pour my liquids into the pool. I pour them slowly in a stream that is less than a pencil in diameter and when using MA, I make sure I am standing upwind of it. Down wind of MA is bad place to be.

I do use a PoolSkim so in general I add all of chemicals to the pool skim. It has a vortex of water to pour into so I know it will quickly mix with the water and splashing is essentially eliminated.
    -- Guy --

18. Back To Top    #18

So, is adding Ph minus which is Sodium Bisulfate not the way to go?
    -- Jason --

19. Back To Top    #19

If you have some on hand, it will work fine. If you were going to the store to buy some, I would buy MA.
    -- Guy --

20. Back To Top    #20

Should I get the ph in the correct range before u start adding chlorine or go ahead and add chlorine?
    -- Jason --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast