Is my pump dying?

Chappy

May 28, 2008
Central Texas
My 3/4 HP GE Pump is making a strange noise. It's going gruuuuum-gruuuuuum-gruuuuuum-gruuuuuuum instead of it's pretty normal, quiet self. Also, the motor casing is very hot to the touch after only a few minutes of running. I just started noticing this yesterday. We've lived in this house for 2 years so I have no idea of the age of the pump, but I would guess it's 10+ years old?

So do these symptoms sound like a dying pump? Should I take it in to get repaired or are we better off with a new, more efficient pump?

Any other details to diagnosis this problem and possible solutions?

The pump is located approx 30 feet from the 1 skimmer.

Thanks!

How is your filter pressure? If it's low, then it may just be that something is clogging the impeller. This causes water flow to drop way off. Opening up the pump housing is pretty simple on most pumps.

Another cause could be that the bearings are failing. If you are a handy DIY type, the bearings are cheap and can be replaced fairly easily. I replaced the bearings in my pump for about $20, and also replaced the shaft seal at the same time for about $12.

Diagnosing a pump motor going bad can be tricky. To the check the bearings 1.if you pull the impeller housing off check to see if their is any movement in the shaft up,down left,right (some movement in/out is normal) if there is you got some bearings going bad. Another way is to use a stethoscope (a screwdriver works too :wink:) and place in towards the front and rear of the motor and listen for a grinding metal on metal sound (be carefull). If its just kinda slugging you may just have some air in there or flow is partially restricted. It being hot can be normal unless its really hot with higher than rla amp draw. If goes out i would replace it with a new one and maybe have that one rebuilt and have spare on hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.