Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which Chlorine/CYA to go by??

1. Back To Top    #1

Which Chlorine/CYA to go by??

I've been going by Ben's Best Guess Chart for my shock level and FC but then today i discovered the troublefreepool chart and it shows something different, so which is best to go by??

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Which Chlorine/CYA to go by??

If you stay on TFP, responders will assume you are using our guidelines.

Don't try to bounce back and get stuck in the middle and it will cause a lot of confusion.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks for clearing that up but my only concern is the TFP chart says my shock level should 14 ppm higher than bens chart so i'd have to spend more money buying 5 more gallons of bleach if i go buy TFP's chart so im not sure which one is more accurate

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

It's not a matter of accurate, but of speed. A higher chlorine level will kill the algae more quickly and oxidize chemicals more quickly. The TFP chart is set so that there is the same active chlorine level at all CYA levels. Ben's chart was done more from experience than from calculations so varies from this. You can certainly use lower numbers for shocking, but it will take somewhat longer. Once the algae is dead, most of the time of clearing a pool is with circulation/filtration to remove the dead algae.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

This was the explanation i was looking for thanks a lot, im going to use TFP's chart from now on