Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Pump Size for 18' AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Pump Size for 18' AGP

What size pump would recomend as the minimum, and what would be perfect size?

Thanks so much!
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Pump Size for 18' AGP

Welcome to tfp, RALFINA

I would recommend a small 2-speed pump. Pentair has a 3/4 hp 2-speed dynamo that might be a good fit. Running on low speed most the time will save electricity.

What filter do you have?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, I have a "package deal" that includes a Doughboy AquaView Filter and Powerline XP Pump. He never specified the sizes, so I want to ask him and just wanted to be a little knowledged when I speak with him. I just want to see what was recommended for a 18 foot and make sure he includes that or I upgrade.

Thanks for the help. I'm new to all this, so I'm sure I'll be back for more info.
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

4. Back To Top    #4

I am assuming this is a 18' round pool with 54" walls? If yes then the volume is ~7600 gallons.

Make sure that aquaview sand filter is at least the 17 inch one, though generally bigger is better on the filter (I wouldn't hesitate to go up to the 20" if the price was not bad).

It looks like the powerline can be ordered as a 2-speed, I would get the 2-speed if possible though it looks like the smallest 2-speed they offer is a 1 hp? That still should save you electricity in the long run on low I would think. If you do go with a single speed, I would go no larger than the 3/4 hp. By the way, dougboy does a horrible job on their website specing their pumps. I had to look at the owners manual just to see an 1 hp 2-speed option.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.