Moving to BBB ... advice/comments on test results requested

Re: Moving to BBB ... advice/comments on test results reques

Another good and easy way to check the clarity of your pool water is to get in, put on some goggles and look across your pool. It should be crystal clear. A while back I let FC fall and pool looked perfect until I got in with goggles, could barely see across the pool, one day later after SLAM clarity underwater was back.

Well, for anyone still following my little SLAM diary here ...

Spent the day adding Liquid Chlor to stay at SLAM level through the searing heat, brushed every part of the pool I could reach more times that I could count, turned valves in every direction to get SLAM water flowing through every inlet and outlet I have, removed my light to allow SLAM water in the hole that holds it.

FC at 24.0 at 8pm this evening. Will check again at 7am tomorrow. I'm getting low on R-0871. Ordered more from TFTestkits.com, but if I have to SLAM again tomorrow, it gonna be tight.

Wish me luck!

You can use a 5ml sample where one drop equals 1 ppm FC. It's not as accurate as normal but it'll do to keep you at shock level and it helps save reagent.

7am Test ...

20.0 FC :(

Oh well ... another SLAM day. Thanks for the tip above Bama. Looks like I'm gonna have to put it to use.

The pool is absolutely crystal clear, and for the first time ever I got absolutely no pink at all in my CC test. Previous tests have always had a very slight pink tint that cleared up after one drop of R-0871. So I guess that's progress.

Do I need to be concerned at all about what all these jugs of 10% bleach are doing to my pH?

I started this process at 7.7 and I read in the book that comes with my Taylor test kit that bleach adds to pH and that chlorine becomes less effective at higher pH levels.

I haven't tested my pH levels during SLAM since I read on here that they can be inaccurate at high FC levels, so I have no idea what all the bleach has done to it.

SLAM Success!

Last Night:
FC 26
CC 0

This morning:
FC 25
CC 0
Crystal clear water!

My plan right now is to do some back washing as my pressure has gone up a bit, maybe try a sand filter rinse, which I've never done before, and then resume regular evening testing, and adjust pH and TA as necessary once FC has returned to normal levels.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement this weekend ... Between this site and going though the slam process, I've learned a ton.

Just came back to admire my new "TFP Lifetime" badge :)

Best $30 I've ever spent on my pool was coming to and supporting this site!

Thanks again for all your help. I know I'll be asking many more questions - I've got some small leaks in my 15 year old pump/filter system that need addressing, but right now, I just want to keep things nice for my daughter's pool party next weekend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.