May 26, 2012
Surprise, Az
FC 25
CC 0
PH 8.0
TA 100
CH 450
CYA 60

Just wanted to thank everyone here for the information and guidance I found on these forums. OCLT was zero last night so apparently I am finished my first SLAM after getting an algae outbreak from a SWG failure (stopped generating chlorine even though it tested good at the pool store!) a few weeks ago. It's been mentioned in a few posts but I think it should emphasized that you need to clean out behind any pool lights when doing the SLAM, not checking this cost me three days. It's been over a week since worrying about anything else than chlorine and CYA it's now to get the levels back to where they should be. And for those of you who are in the process of do a SLAM have patience as it can be painfully slow and remember it will work if you follow it correctly.

Attachments

• 20130802_085529.jpg
    20130802_085529.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20130802_085529.jpg
    20130802_085529.jpg
  • 20130802_085529.jpg
    20130802_085529.jpg
Fine job! Wait til your FC drops below 10 to test and/or adjust your pH. It's probably reading higher than it really is.

Are you getting your SWG fixed and keeping it? If so you may want to consider raising your CYA level up to 80. It will help your SWG keep up with the Arizona sun better.

I know, I'm full of answers to questions nobody asked :p The pool looks great!!

Yes just past the OCLT this morning so am waiting for the 109 degree sun to burn off the some of the chlorine as I'm sure PH number is off and possibly the other readings as well. I normally keep the CYA at 80 as without being that high there is significant FC loss during the day. I drained some water to get it down to manageable level before the SLAM so know it needs to be rasied back to normal levels. I'm aware of the high CH level and normally keep the PH below 7.4 but the water here is pretty high out of the tap. Scaling was definitely a problem with the previous owners and I've been brushing to SLOWLY remove it. New SWG installed two days after the other one failed but got the algae because I didn't add enough bleach to keep the level high enough on the day the heat got to 120 degrees. I've been using the Pool Calculator since we moved in a little over a year ago and this is the first time I have had to SLAM the pool. Still occasionally take a water sample to the pool store when looking at what toys are on sale and they always tell me it's prefect, well other than trying to sell me phosphate remover. So again thanks for the additional questions and advice and for saving me a vast amount of time and money over the last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.