By what date do you close pool in Michigan?

Jun 14, 2013
Hi all,

I'm interested in hearing on average if there is a certain date by which you close your pool. I live in Michigan and have a lot of trees in my yard.
It seems like the main dump of leave doesn't happen until mid-Oct. I'm worried if I close too soon and we end up with a hot Indian Summer, how that may effect the water w/algae. I'm worried if I wait too long, I'll be forever skimming out leaves.

Thanks!

Hi, I am over in Soutwestern Wisconsin..so not TOO far from you. I am the same as you. I have a number of tree's very close to my pool, and I try and ALWAYS have the pool closed and winter cover on BEFORE those leaves start falling, which again like you, is about Mid October. IF it stays warm enough, I'll put the winter cover on so I don't get all the debris in the pool, BUT I keep the water level up and pumps running to circulate the water until I am ready to drain down and shut everything down. I normally shut everything down when we get consecutive nights under 50 Degrees F. Once under 50F you are pretty well guarantee'd no more algae will grow in your water.

Hope that helps.
Dan

Close is not dependant on a date. Ideally you want to close when the water is below 60 degrees (or even 50 degrees) and then you want to open before warms up above that as well. At the colder water temps, algae growth is greatly reduced and if you follow the recommended closeing procedures, you should open to a clear pool.

pool-school/closing_in_ground_pool

jblizzle said:
Close is not dependant on a date. Ideally you want to close when the water is below 60 degrees (or even 50 degrees) and then you want to open before warms up above that as well. At the colder water temps, algae growth is greatly reduced and if you follow the recommended closeing procedures, you should open to a clear pool.

pool-school/closing_in_ground_pool

I don't live in Michigan but the above is what I do. I let the water thermometer hit 55° and then I close on the first day without wind that I can manage, as long as it's still below 55°. This is usually about ten days before the leaves really start to fall, usually just after peak color has passed. In NJ that is 10 days on either side of Oct. 10, but the thermometer is the boss. If leaves were already coming down, I'd close a few degrees warmer to stay ahead. Oct. 20 is my latest close since 2007 and that was nasty, leaf-wise.

I have never had algae at the open and I've been closing this way since 2005.

It may be a minor heresy, but I switch to pucks from LC about the time I stop using the pool (~Sept. 15), just for convenience. A floater full does real well in the cooler water and any excess CYA disappears over the winter. I always find CYA 30 or below at the open. YMMV on this.

I don't have a heater; if you extend your season you might get squeezed getting the temp down before leaf fall. It's pretty tight with no heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.