Curious - Anyone have timers on their pool lights

Sep 2, 2008
Not that it matters for anything, but my "customer pool builder" mentioned to me the other day that in 25 years he has *never* had a single request to put pool lights on a timer. That sure strikes me as odd but I'm curious if it's not nearly as popular I would think it would be. Anyone have timers on their lights? All that money for a pool... I want that bad boy to light up automatically so I can see it from inside.

Unless you live in the desert SW or well inside a city, pool lights will pretty well fill your pool with bugs. You won't want it on unless you need it.

I have mine programmed to come on during the weekends. It does attract more bugs sometimes but I don't mind. I changed my bulb from a 500W incandescent to an Led (19W or something)..Love it at night! Lights up yard nicely.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

That would be a lot of watt-hours and bulb-hours, in my opinion. I have a X10 box next to the living room window and if I want to see the pool light on, and/or the big flood (WWII airfield flood stolen from a scrap pile by my infantry captain father in 1946 as they were deactivating Fort McClellan--and him) I just hit a button. I have another X10 box in the bedroom in case somebody forgets to turn them off. The LED landscape lights are on a timer.

We have our lights on a timer. Our pool is close to our house and the back of our house is all windows. It makes for a great show at night as the LED's cycle through the various colors. We run it around 2 hours a night. If I could not see my pool from the house I would not have cared.

I have my Hayward color logic led pool light and 2 post landscaping light hooked up to my aqua logic SWG that controls it.I have the landscaping lights on the Aqua Logic hooked to Aux1 timer from 7:30-10 every night but never use the pool light timer. If I want it on I just turn it on manually. So a actual pool light IMO would not need a timer but that would be personal preference.

I actually changed out the standard on/off light switch for my pool light with a photo-cell. When it gets dark, it turns of automatically...and vice versa. I switched the actual light bulb to an LED version so the costs of running it are minimal. Also, way less heat being released. Not to mention that the one I chose is a softer, slightly whiter light than the traditional incandescent. As far as bugs...at certain times of the year, yes it does seem to attract more. But that is a small price to pay for the beauty and enjoyment I receive having the light on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Photocells - Outdoor Lighting Accessories - Outdoor Lighting - Lighting & Ceiling Fans - The Home Depot
Depends on your switches box. If it's flush on a wall: Defiant 1,800-Watt Button Photocell with Cover Plate-EZ-347A - The Home Depot
If it's mounted to a weatherproof box on a wall or post, I would add this, Defiant 1800-Watt Outdoor Stem Mount Swivel Adjustable Dusk-To-Dawn Light Control-EZ-352A - The Home Depot ,to an unused hole in the box in series with the switch. That way if someone leaves the light on it will shut off when it's light out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.