Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Curious - Anyone have timers on their pool lights

1. Back To Top    #1

Curious - Anyone have timers on their pool lights

Not that it matters for anything, but my "customer pool builder" mentioned to me the other day that in 25 years he has *never* had a single request to put pool lights on a timer. That sure strikes me as odd but I'm curious if it's not nearly as popular I would think it would be. Anyone have timers on their lights? All that money for a pool... I want that bad boy to light up automatically so I can see it from inside.
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Curious - Anyone have timers on their pool lights

Unless you live in the desert SW or well inside a city, pool lights will pretty well fill your pool with bugs. You won't want it on unless you need it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Ack - that is good info to know. Its a brand new build.
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool has lights that I can program. I didn't ask for it though.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have mine programmed to come on during the weekends. It does attract more bugs sometimes but I don't mind. I changed my bulb from a 500W incandescent to an Led (19W or something)..Love it at night! Lights up yard nicely.

6. Back To Top    #6

That would be a lot of watt-hours and bulb-hours, in my opinion. I have a X10 box next to the living room window and if I want to see the pool light on, and/or the big flood (WWII airfield flood stolen from a scrap pile by my infantry captain father in 1946 as they were deactivating Fort McClellan--and him) I just hit a button. I have another X10 box in the bedroom in case somebody forgets to turn them off. The LED landscape lights are on a timer.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

7. Back To Top    #7

We have our lights on a timer. Our pool is close to our house and the back of our house is all windows. It makes for a great show at night as the LED's cycle through the various colors. We run it around 2 hours a night. If I could not see my pool from the house I would not have cared.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

8. Back To Top    #8

It would have been nice to have had a light switch inside my house by closest door to the pool to turn it on and off.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

I have my Hayward color logic led pool light and 2 post landscaping light hooked up to my aqua logic SWG that controls it.I have the landscaping lights on the Aqua Logic hooked to Aux1 timer from 7:30-10 every night but never use the pool light timer. If I want it on I just turn it on manually. So a actual pool light IMO would not need a timer but that would be personal preference.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

10. Back To Top    #10

I actually changed out the standard on/off light switch for my pool light with a photo-cell. When it gets dark, it turns of automatically...and vice versa. I switched the actual light bulb to an LED version so the costs of running it are minimal. Also, way less heat being released. Not to mention that the one I chose is a softer, slightly whiter light than the traditional incandescent. As far as bugs...at certain times of the year, yes it does seem to attract more. But that is a small price to pay for the beauty and enjoyment I receive having the light on.
    Brian, Richardson TX. 25K Plaster Pool, 1.5 HP Pump, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 HP Booster Pump, 325 sq ft Cart Filter. This is my 3rd pool to convert to BBB method.

11. Back To Top    #11

I know this is an old thread and a dumb question, do you have a link to the photocell, and is it difficult to swap out? Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

Photocells - Outdoor Lighting Accessories - Outdoor Lighting - Lighting & Ceiling Fans - The Home Depot
    Depends on your switches box. If it's flush on a wall: Defiant 1,800-Watt Button Photocell with Cover Plate-EZ-347A - The Home Depot
    If it's mounted to a weatherproof box on a wall or post, I would add this, Defiant 1800-Watt Outdoor Stem Mount Swivel Adjustable Dusk-To-Dawn Light Control-EZ-352A - The Home Depot ,to an unused hole in the box in series with the switch. That way if someone leaves the light on it will shut off when it's light out.
    16' x 32' x 4' plaster IG abt 10 years old Hayward S310T2 Sand FilterVari-Flo Valve, Hayward PowerFlo Pump, Pentair 300-19 Automatic Chlorine Off Line Feeder, PentAir Aqualumin II Pool Light. Also have an Infinity Bahama 7 person 62 jet spa with 2 lily pad skimmers Mfr 2/28/2008. Bought a new house with a 29' x 15' sloping 3'-5' plaster in ground pool, Hayward sand filter with Pentair chlorinator and superFlo pump.