Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bypassing heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Bypassing heater

Hello,
    I noticed today that my pool heater is leaking at the inlet( on the copper ) which I hear is a common problem. I am not going to fix it right now because I don't use the heater and was thinking of going another route in the future for heating my pool. My question is how can I or can't I bypass the heater so I stop loosing water? Thanks I attached a picture of my plumbing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    33,000 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bypassing heater

are there two unions on the outlet of the heater? One at the heater, and the other next to your SWG (I think that's what that is)?

Will the hose from your filter reach that other union?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know yet if its long enough but if it is are you saying I can hook the filter line just right up to my chlorinator at the union?
    33,000 gallons
    Sand filter
    IG
    Vinyl
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

If the unions are set to be able to do it, yes.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.