Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No Chlorine ever??

1. Back To Top    #1

Raleigh, NC

No Chlorine ever??

I add chlorine/bleach almost daily but every time I test it none registers. I use the colored test strips and if I get nothing with that I use the aquachem liquid test kit that test CL/BR/PH. The PH always comes back normal 7.6 But the CL is at 0. The water looks amazing considering where I was a month ago fighting well water. I tried using the 1" Chlorine tabs in the skimmer to keep the levels up and consistent but it turned the water cloudy. Right now I am adding 3 cups of 8.25% bleach 4-5 times a week in the early morning, the pool also sits out in the sun, should I cover it when not in use which is most of the day the kids don't swim til after 5pm when the sun goes away.
    15' x 42" Summer Escapes AGP 4000 gallons
    Cartridge filter pump 800GPH

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: No Chlorine ever??

My first suggestion would be to get at least a TF-50 from and a TF-100 would be better. Living in Raleigh, Dave would probably meet you with it at a local Mickey D's for a couple of bisquits.

Then we would have good results to go by. I know it looks like a lot of money for the test kit, but you'll ba amazed how easy it makes maintaining your pool once you have it. It will also last two or three years if you store it correctly.

Now to the problem. I suspect you either have a nascent algae bloom that you're just keeping ahead of, or you have very low CYA and the FC is getting used up very quickly. Either way we need a good test result for the CYA you have in the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Re: No Chlorine ever??

How soon after adding bleach are you testing? Give it at least half an hour to mix in.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!