No pump for a week - mess or not?

ks0u812

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2013
Minnesota
Problem: My pump developed a pressure side leak which drained the water below the skimmers over about 2 days. Probably the bearing seal, again... My bigger problem is I'm leaving town for a week and have no time to fix it. The water is currently clean and well balanced - thanks to this site! The water temp is in the mid to lower 80s.

Question: If I superchlorinate now, close my autocover (no sun), and leave the pump off for a full week; am I likely to come back to a green pool or not?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Using the superchlorinate function on the SWG will not add enough FC to reach shock level.

If you know how much FC your pool uses daily, you could add enough to compensate for the week.

I suggest you use plain bleach/liquid chlorine and raise to shock level based on the CYA, using the Chlorine/CYA Chart.
If you do that, I think your pool will be okay, i.e. no mess. This is assuming that all test #'s are good and nothing is lurking.

You will need some way to mix it all well before covering.

I came back from vacation 2 nights ago and found out I have a leak in my booster pump as well. After raising chlorine using bleach to shock level and my pump out of commission until my new motor and seals are delivered, I placed a sump pump at the deep end and had the hose throwing water back in the pool at the shallow end creating some mixing at least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.