New guy with an old pool

Jun 18, 2013
Hi guys,

I have been lurking around here now for a couple of weeks. Great information and I am learning something new every day.

I recently closed on a home in Miami and the house has a 14ft by 28ft pool. Shallow depth 3 feet and deep end is 6 feet. My calculations (using the pool calculator) tell me aprox 13200 gallons. The house was previously tenant occupied and overall the pool was left in pretty rough shape. I have been at it now for a couple of days trying to get everything in balance.

My current readings are as follows

FC 7.5
CC 0.5
TC 8
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 35
PH 7.5

I purchased the TF100 and love it. No more going to the pool store to get a water reading and watching the guys there sloppily add chemicals with quite a few discrepancies between each time (I watch them closely and they will randomly add more or less drops of the same chemicals from time to time)

Here is my big question for you experts. The pool, having been resurfaced the last time when jesus walked the earth has a spot in the middle of it were the plaster has broken and is deteriorating. I had a leak expert look at the pool and he found a pretty big leak in the skimmer that he fixed. He stated the patch of plaster in the middle was of no worry and that I would just get it fixed when I replaster. I have had several people out to look at the pool for a replaster, retile and replacement of the skimmer.

I have a problem with algae, even though the pool is crystal clear I get algae build up. I run the pump 24/7 and brush the pool and am trying to follow the SLAM method. I do not know if something is significantly off with my current chemical levels that is hindering me from getting rid of the algae all together, or if it is caused by that hole in the plaster. I am thinking that hole is providing an anchor point for the algae and I am not getting it all out?

Also (I am sorry I am being long winded) I am thinking I need to invest in a good pool vacuum? The pool will get resurfaced in the upcoming months but I would really like to be able to have a nice swimmable pool up until that point, if possible.

Thanks again for all the good advice so far. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of the forum as I learn more.

Best regards,
Charles

Welcome to tfp, Sweatpants :wave:

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it and this is what you want to do:
Sweatpants said:
I run the pump 24/7 and brush the pool and am trying to follow the SLAM method.
...but for a cya of 35 ppm you should have you FC level at 14 ppm (per poolcalculator.com).

The brushing will help with the algae in the surface roughness. Don't stop the SLAM process until you pass all three criteria (also in my sig). The one about the water being clear also implies no visible algae on the surfaces as well.

Don't forget to remove any lights from their niches to check for algae behind them and also check any ladders or steps that may have places algae can hide. This may not apply in your particular case but if so it could save you quite a bit of time on your cleanup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.