Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ph keeps rising

1. Back To Top    #1

ph keeps rising

i like to keep my chlorine level at 6-7, i noticed the every time i add bleach to my pool my ph rises, is this normal? I then find myself battling with the ta, because when i add acid it lowers the ta as well.

cya 50
    ta 80
    ch 300
    fc 5
    cc 0
    ph 7.2( added acid to lower it, was 7.7)
    24' x 52' Round AG 11,200 gal., 2 HP pump Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ph keeps rising

added the acid today, so now i know the ta is not 80 anymore, maybe 70 now!!!!! sorry did not test it after added the acid

3. Back To Top    #3

Typically adding bleach will raise ph a little but when it is used up the ph goes back down to about where it started...we consider it ph neutral. There have been a very few reports of "cheap" bleach with excessive lye that can raise ph a little...but as I understand it, very uncommon. Do you have any aeration in your pool?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll let you know if anyone perfects how to lower Ph without lowering TA a wee bit as well.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

didn't know was aeration was. looked it up on google. no i don't, but i do have a fountain sprayer that i occasinally use.

6. Back To Top    #6

Your fountain will raise the ph. Have you been using it recently?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

yes

8. Back To Top    #8

If you are going to keep using it, then I would let your TA go down a little more, but not below 60 ppm.

9. Back To Top    #9

okay thanks