Cleaning old Sand Filter

unkyjoe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2013
Seguin TX
Greetings,

Getting ready to use my old Hayward 16" sand filter.

I have emptied the filter by opening the drain, removing the pump valve and sticking a hose into the sand and washing it.

It has now been empty about two weeks with only the sand in it "no water" would this be good enough before hooking it up to the pump and pool?

Should I then immediately backwash until the water runs clear?

P.S. This filter sat idle about 5 years :)

THanks

Before you fill it up and reconnect everything, I would take the multiport apart and check the condition of the spider gasket inside.
That's a long time to be dry and it might need replacing. Probably a bit easier job while it's apart from the filter.

So..... My question again, should I just hook it all up when the pump comes in and see how it goes?

Or do you think I rinsed the sand enough in preparation?

I have a feeling the valve will be ok, it moves freely and doesnt bind, however whether it leaks between backwash-filter-rinse I know I wont be able to determine until the pump arrives and I hook everything up.

Thanks

Ok Folks,
Got my new 3/4hp Dohenys Pump in on Tuesday, installed it and the old sand filter and base. This pump is nice a quiet and seems sealed really well from the elements. It also came with a cord :mrgreen:

Filter was backwashed for about 2 minutes and the site glass was clear, moved the handle on the valve to all positions and experienced no leaks and or bypassing to the other openings so I guess I am golden with the valve :) Even though it sat in the sun for 5-6 years :)

Question is, I misplaced the screws that secure the pump to the sand filter base, does anyone know what size screws are used to secure the pump to the hayward Sand Filter base unit? I will post some pictures of the setup here in a few minutes.

Thanks

Attachments

• pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 29

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is the location of the pump on the base, I do not know the model of the base unit, I do know it is a 16" hayward filter.

I was able to also re-use the Intex hoses by slipping back the connector and placing a hose clamp around the resulting flange on the end of the hose, remarkably these are the two connection not leaking at this time, the other hose barbs need to be removed and re-done as I only did one wrap of teflon tape, the manual calls for two and they both have small leaks.

So please help me with the screw size if you can :)

Attachments

• pump-base2.jpg
    pump-base2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 29
  • pump-base.jpg
    pump-base.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 29
  • intex-1.jpg
    intex-1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 29
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.