SLAM Question

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
The past week or so I have had some persistant algae growth on the floor and walls of my pool. Comes back, in the same spots interestingly enough, day after day. I brush it and it goes away but I can see it begining to form again the next day. Water is 100% crystal clear. I figure I should slam the pool to get rid of it once in for all..but...how do I know when I should go back to regular chlorine levels if: my CC is zero, my water is crystal clear and I have absolutely 0 chlorine loss over night.

Do I just keep the chlorine levels at slam level every day until I don't see the algae any longer???

I'm slightly confused as to how to handle this situation.

Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 using Tapatalk

The full detail on the SLAM process are found here:The SLAM Process

Here are the Cliffs Notes:

1. Measure the FC level
2. Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)

Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

If you have visible algae, and start the SLAM process, I would be quite surprised if you saw the algae come back the next day. Are you saying you have held FC at SLAM level yet the algae comes back each day?

Can you post some current test results for us to look at?

dschribs said:
The past week or so I have had some persistant algae growth on the floor and walls of my pool. Comes back, in the same spots interestingly enough, day after day. I brush it and it goes away but I can see it begining to form again the next day. Water is 100% crystal clear. I figure I should slam the pool to get rid of it once in for all..but...how do I know when I should go back to regular chlorine levels if: my CC is zero, my water is crystal clear and I have absolutely 0 chlorine loss over night.

Do I just keep the chlorine levels at slam level every day until I don't see the algae any longer???

I'm slightly confused as to how to handle this situation.

Thanks!

Yes. If there's visible algae, the water is not clear.

I haven't started SLAM yet. Today was my first day. After thinking about it a little more I'm thinking I will hold at SLAM level until I see no more visisble alage and then go one more day at SLAM level....

Sound good?

Sound good?
Actually, not. The SLAM process has a beginning point (test results) and then a very clear, mandatory endpoint which involves the OCLT.

from your post, I am unsure you have current test results to get started. Have you done that, yet?

If you have, then you are good to go but the SLAM process really needs to end with the OCLT...also found in Pool School.

duraleigh said:
Sound good?
Actually, not. The SLAM process has a beginning point (test results) and then a very clear, mandatory endpoint which involves the OCLT.

from your post, I am unsure you have current test results to get started. Have you done that, yet?

If you have, then you are good to go but the SLAM process really needs to end with the OCLT...also found in Pool School.

As I stated in my initial post - OCLT is zero overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yours is an unusual case, and after rereading the whole thread, I understand the conundrum.

In your case, I would SLAM until the visible algae is gone, but then I would reconfirm the OCLT before letting it drift down to maintenance levels. It's very, very weird that you have visible algae, but no FC is consumed overnight.

Smykowski said:
Yours is an unusual case, and after rereading the whole thread, I understand the conundrum.

In your case, I would SLAM until the visible algae is gone, but then I would reconfirm the OCLT before letting it drift down to maintenance levels. It's very, very weird that you have visible algae, but no FC is consumed overnight.

That's why I'm perplexed....

I'll do as you suggested. Of course, rain all day today so that won't help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.