Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM Question

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM Question

The past week or so I have had some persistant algae growth on the floor and walls of my pool. Comes back, in the same spots interestingly enough, day after day. I brush it and it goes away but I can see it begining to form again the next day. Water is 100% crystal clear. I figure I should slam the pool to get rid of it once in for all..but...how do I know when I should go back to regular chlorine levels if: my CC is zero, my water is crystal clear and I have absolutely 0 chlorine loss over night.

Do I just keep the chlorine levels at slam level every day until I don't see the algae any longer???

I'm slightly confused as to how to handle this situation.

Thanks!

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM Question

The full detail on the SLAM process are found here:The SLAM Process

Here are the Cliffs Notes:

1. Measure the FC level
    2. Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)

Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
    CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    And the water is clear.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool already meets all of those guidelines...but I still have slight algae growth everyday.....that's the problem...

16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If you have visible algae, and start the SLAM process, I would be quite surprised if you saw the algae come back the next day. Are you saying you have held FC at SLAM level yet the algae comes back each day?

Can you post some current test results for us to look at?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Any chance it 's just dirt or debris from the lawn, or pollen from a tree?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs
    The past week or so I have had some persistant algae growth on the floor and walls of my pool. Comes back, in the same spots interestingly enough, day after day. I brush it and it goes away but I can see it begining to form again the next day. Water is 100% crystal clear. I figure I should slam the pool to get rid of it once in for all..but...how do I know when I should go back to regular chlorine levels if: my CC is zero, my water is crystal clear and I have absolutely 0 chlorine loss over night.

Do I just keep the chlorine levels at slam level every day until I don't see the algae any longer???

I'm slightly confused as to how to handle this situation.

Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 using Tapatalk
    Yes. If there's visible algae, the water is not clear.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Do we need to look at the possibility of that extra nasty kind of algae? And a good point by Richard.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

I haven't started SLAM yet. Today was my first day. After thinking about it a little more I'm thinking I will hold at SLAM level until I see no more visisble alage and then go one more day at SLAM level....

Sound good?

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Sound good?
    Actually, not. The SLAM process has a beginning point (test results) and then a very clear, mandatory endpoint which involves the OCLT.

from your post, I am unsure you have current test results to get started. Have you done that, yet?

If you have, then you are good to go but the SLAM process really needs to end with the OCLT...also found in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Sound good?
    Actually, not. The SLAM process has a beginning point (test results) and then a very clear, mandatory endpoint which involves the OCLT.

from your post, I am unsure you have current test results to get started. Have you done that, yet?

If you have, then you are good to go but the SLAM process really needs to end with the OCLT...also found in Pool School.
    As I stated in my initial post - OCLT is zero overnight.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yours is an unusual case, and after rereading the whole thread, I understand the conundrum.

In your case, I would SLAM until the visible algae is gone, but then I would reconfirm the OCLT before letting it drift down to maintenance levels. It's very, very weird that you have visible algae, but no FC is consumed overnight.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski
    Yours is an unusual case, and after rereading the whole thread, I understand the conundrum.

In your case, I would SLAM until the visible algae is gone, but then I would reconfirm the OCLT before letting it drift down to maintenance levels. It's very, very weird that you have visible algae, but no FC is consumed overnight.
    That's why I'm perplexed....

I'll do as you suggested. Of course, rain all day today so that won't help.

13. Back To Top    #13

Is your FC level appropriate for your CYA level?
    13500 Gal. Above Ground. Vinyl. Hayward E-100 Highrate Sand Filter with Hayward Power Flow LX pump. Installed 2006.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Would you mind posting a full set of test results? Most likely everything is correct but one of us might see if something is slightly amiss.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits