Normal FC loss during day

I also looked at another brand that was selling 1 gallon at $4 (7.50 florins) but i coudn't see the concentration on the label.

Just wondering what u guys think would be a better choice and least expensive?

The "cost" of chlorine is completely dependent on the strength of the chlorine. In the US be can normally buy liquid chlorine in several strengths and the name changes.

1-3% "bargain brands" bleach
6% "normal" bleach, used to be the most common variety
8.25% "extra strength" bleach, most common variety at grocery store that I see
10% liquid chlorinator or liquid shock
12.5% liquid chlorine, mainly sold at pool stores and chemical supply stores

The primary difference is the concentration of chlorine. We consider chlorine at $0.25 per ounce of CL to be a good price but it really is what can you get cost effectively. It is normally the item that is most expensive for a single gallon since you are getting more chlorine per liquid ounce. The lowest cost per jug/gallon is frequently the worst value since you are buying 97-99% water/salt and 1-3% chlorine.

TCJ4 said:
1 gallon at $4 (7.50 florins) but i coudn't see the concentration on the label.
Best way to compare bleach/liquid chlorine is to do it by price per ounce of sodium hypochlorite (the active ingredient). But you do need to know the concentration (percentage sodium hypochlorite...i.e. NaClO2).

So for an example:
TCJ4 said:
1 gallon at $4 (7.50 florins) but i coudn't see the concentration on the label.
If we assume for this example that that is 12.5% (just a guess), then your price would be 7/(128*0.125)= $0.44/ounce of NaClO2...which is not a good price up here in the states, but might be down in Aruba.

Ok i think the clorox concentrated bleach is a better choice since it's more concentrated and it's cheaper then the one gallon jug.

I have to search around if they sell one gallon jug of the clorox concentrated bleach.

I have just checked the chem level

FC:1.5
Cc:0
Ph:7.4
Cya:45
CH:70
TA:80

I have question i'm planing on covering the pool from sunday night to friday afternoon and since i'm using 3" trichlor tablets,just wondering if i should stop now with the CYA at 45 or stop when it reaches 50,and if i have to start using bleach do i have to add it daily even with a cover on?

(Not gonna have time to test the water and at chlorine everyday)

I have the 3" tablet in a floater

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Crystal clear.

I'm planing on covering the pool every week from sunday to friday beacause i'm not have time to clean it everyday.

Also wondering if i can test the FC,Ph,TA twice a week instead of testing the FC everyday?

Honestly, it takes as long to test it daily as it takes me to make coffee daily. Less than 5 minutes.

Once you get balanced, you do a quick FC/PH test, add a little chlorine and I am done for the day. Do a larger, more complete, test on the weekends.

Actually i don't test the FC eveyday i do it every 2 or 3 days and so far everything has been good.

I will use the 3"trichlor tablets i just put in for this week with the pool coverd and in the next weekend i'm gonna go buy some bleach.

PS: how long can u store the bleach?
Because i'm gonna be buying 6x1 gallon jug of 5% bleach

LC stores quite well for 5-6%. I would think it would at least a month without significant loss of effectiveness. There is a chart that shows how long it lasts.

Your 6 gallons should chlorinate your pool for at least two weeks, maybe a month if you don't need to use too much each day, assuming your pool is like mine.

With the current CYA level it's sometimes hard to keep the FC at the minimum level but i'm hoping with the CYA level at 50 it will be a little easier.

With the pool covered almost the whole week i hope to use lose less FC during the day.

Aim a little higher when you target for each day. If you aim for 5 now, aim for 6 and see if you stay above the minimum.

Adding more CYA will help but make it harder if you have an algae bloom since a SLAM will require even higher FC levels.

Trichlor adds CYA every puck, almost as much CYA as FC. IIRC for every 10FC, you get 9 CYA and the CYA does not go away but the FC is driven off by the sun and used in fighting algae. CalHypo only adds CH with the FC, but it builds up too. In a vinyl pool this is less important.

Have you measured your CYA lately?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.