How Often Do You Add Water?

Jun 12, 2013
Orlando, FL
I normally have to have 1" - 2" of water to the pool every 5 - 7 days. I thought I had a leak, but everything I checked seems to be o.k. And I've been told there's a lot more to evaporation - and a lot more to evaporation at night! - than you would think. I've done the "bucket test" and it seems fine.

These last two weeks have been very hot and very humid in central Florida - I've had to add 1" - 1.5" of water every two to three days.

How often do you add water? Once a week? Every day?

And how much when you do have to add it?

I'm especially interested in hearing from the closest-to-central-Florida folks, but all input is welcome!

If I keep adding so much, I might have to go back to playing leak detective. :( Not looking forward to that.

You sound in the normal range to me for this time of year, cause there's nothing normal about 106 degrees to me here today! The wind along with the heat doesn't help any either. You can reduce your loss with a cover------but I'm too lazy for all that!

Within the last couple of weeks, I have topped off weekly. Throughout much of July, it was about every other week (was cooler & wetter than normal). Definitely correlates with air temp, wind, and precipitation.

I add water every week or so when the skimmer makes gurgly noises. It usually needs/gets an inch or two but I have been known to forget about the hose. I added my hose timer back this week..

We have had a lot of rain the last couple of months in Jacksonville so I have not had to add water, however lately we have not had any rain and last week I had to add water. I also will have to add water today or tomorrow for a party. :party: :cheers: :whoot:

Thanks for the replies.

I started a new bucket test last night...so far this isn't looking promising. It's been about 18 hrs, and the bucket is down about 1/8"-1/4", the pool is down about 1.25". Not sure about the measurements, but the visual difference is more than obvious. :(

The pump seems to be holding water, so I don't think there's an air/water leak between the skimmer and the pump - is that a fair assumption? (Of course, there could be a leak around the skimmer gasket, right?)
So, now I need to check various gaskets and connections with dye/food coloring - right?
How do I test from the pump to the returns?

Thanks,

Nic

The first thing I would do, if you don't have a main drain is seal off the skimmer and returns and run the bucket test again. That will tell you if it's plumbing or shell. If you have a main drain that runs all the way to the pad, do the same and it just leaves the main drain and the shell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
The first thing I would do, if you don't have a main drain is seal off the skimmer and returns and run the bucket test again. That will tell you if it's plumbing or shell. If you have a main drain that runs all the way to the pad, do the same and it just leaves the main drain and the shell.

Thanks Bama Rambler,

I do have a main drain; I believe it runs to the skimmer. In the bottom of the skimmer, I have two 1 1/2" holes - one I put my pool vac in, the other has a cover. It never receives suction. Is that the main drain?

Would this main drain have 2 pipes? One to the skimmer/one to the pump? Or just the one to the skimmer?

How do you seal off the skimmer, returns and main drain under water?

Thanks,

Nic

Post a pic of the two holes in the bottom of the skimmer if you can. That's most likely the main drain hole. I wouldn't worry about plugging the main drain in the pool until you find out what the first test shows.

Use winterizing plugs to seal off the skimmer pipe and returns. You could also stick the vacuum hose in the skimmer and leave the other end over the top.

Here's the bottom of the skimmer. I tried looking for a make/model # but could only find them for the cover.

I can think of some rubber expanding plugs at the auto parts store. Around here, it doesn't get to freeze very often. :wink: We will get down to 28 some times, but as soon as the sun comes up, it shoots to mid 30s. Rarely will it stay in the 30s for a day.

Attachments

• InsideSkimmer.jpg
    InsideSkimmer.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 277
Yes, I have opened it...just a hole. With water in it. :wink: While the pump is running, there is no suction down at the main drain.

I guess we'll head to the hardware or auto parts store for those plugs today. Start a new bucket test and go from there...yes?

Thanks Bama!

Nic

Sit Rep:

I have the two returns plugged and the skimmer-to-the-pump plugged.

I do NOT have the 2nd hole in the skimmer plugged (the one to the main drain). Do I need it plugged?

I moved the tape on the skimmer down to the new level. We shall see.

Oh, and most importantly, I have the pump set to off!

Thanks for all your help.

That eliminates part of the plumbing. So you have left the shell and the main drain.

You cna let it leak and see where it stops. Or you can try to seal off the main drain and see if that's it. I'd probably let it leak down to the level of the light to see if that's it if it were me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.